Chapter 4: Rowena Meets the Ex

Bruce and Winona Howler didn't look like they were old enough to be parents of three fully-grown wolf shifters

Bruce and Winona Howler didn't look like they were old enough to be parents of three fully-grown wolf shifters. They reminded Rowena of a young Tom Hanks and Elizabeth Taylor...an angry Elizabeth Taylor. While they were both attractive, they didn't look anything like Cross. Rowena pursed her lips as her eyes drifted between Cross and his parents.

Cross placed a cup of tea in front of her when she blurted, "Are you adopted?"

Winona shot up in her seat. "What's that supposed to mean? Are you saying I had an affair? I would never cheat on Bruce! He's my mate."

Rowena leaned into Cross and whispered loudly, "Have you ever had a paternity test? The lady doth protest too much-if you know what I mean."

Winona lurched forward. "Why you-"

Bruce grabbed his wife's waist as he tugged her back to his side. "Now, now, Winona, settle down. You know Cross resembles my father."

"Yes, your father was a handsome man. He could have any woman he wanted just like our sons can," Winona said. "Why Cross would give up Angelina for this human, is beyond me."

"Mother," Cross said in a warning tone.

"What?" Her eyes widened, daring him to argue with her. "You said she was special, but I fail to see anything special about her."

Rowena's hands tightened around her teacup.

"She has big hips," Winona noted, pointing a finger toward Rowena. "I suppose that's good for birthing pups. Do we know anything about her family? What if the children look like her?"

"I will not commit assault. I will not commit assault. I will not commit assault," Rowena grumbled to herself.

Cross pulled the teacup from Rowena's hand and placed it on the coffee table in front of them. He held her hand in his before turning back to his mother. "I told you before, Rowena is my soulmate. When she's ready, she'll become my mate. You're my mother but you cannot talk about her like this. I won't allow it."

Bruce gave Rowena a wan smile. Winona huffed before picking up her cup of tea. "Angelina and her family have generations of good breeding. We don't know anything about your human."

"Winona, that's enough," Bruce scolded.

"What? We bring back his intended mate and he shuns her and suddenly tells us he's destined to mate with a human who happens to be a witch with no knowledge of her powers. She doesn't exactly sound like a winner," Winona muttered. "I had Selig investigate her background. She has an arrest record, Bruce."

Bruce gave an exaggerated gasp, a smile playing at the corner of his mouth. "What was she arrested for?"

Rowena used her fingers to count her crimes. "Assault, disorderly conduct, and jaywalking. Oh, there was a grand theft auto charge once but that was eventually dropped. Don't worry. I didn't steal that clown car. I won it against a bunch of carnival clowns in a game of strip poker. Who knew clowns would be such sore losers and call the cops on me?"