Chapter 17: Big Fight in Little China

Bright red dragons hugged the doors oof Little China, Rowena's favorite restaurant in Clarkton

Bright red dragons hugged the doors oof Little China, Rowena's favorite restaurant in Clarkton. Cross stared at the sweeping roofs in a xie-shan style he recognized from a documentary he once watched.

"You're going to love it here," Rowena claimed, pulling the heavy wooden door open. "I used to eat here all the time. I'm a regular."

Cross nodded, taking in the red walls, hanging Chinese lanterns, and bamboo plants. "I asked my family to meet us here."

Rowena froze, her eyes narrowing. "Why would you do that? I thought we were on a date?"

His lips turned upward. "Rowena, your pageant starts tomorrow. I thought it would be a good idea for everyone to get along. I want them sitting with me in the audience cheering you on."

"Why?"

"Because you deserve to have people rooting for you."

Rowena's cheeks heated. "That's really sweet. Thank you, Cross. I know your mother hates me and this will totally blow up in your face, which I will laugh about, but it's still a sweet gesture on your part. I thought we were going to be alone so we could brainstorm about the fairies. After what Little Mikey said, I'm pretty sure they're guilty. I say we kidnap the king and force him to make the police let Gina go."

Cross chuckled. "I don't think that idea would work, baby. We don't know whom Karen saw that day and we don't know who is involved or why. I've known Giles all my life. The man is not going to believe us or take action without solid proof."

"We're never going to free Gina at this rate."

"We will, but it won't be easy," Cross admitted.

"Well, well, well...if it isn't my favorite human," a familiar male voice crooned.

Cross glared at his brother, Selig, "Can you please stop trying to flirt with Rowena? She's my future mate."

Rowena turned her head to him. "Can you stop calling me your mate? It's weird."

"Not for us it isn't," Cross insisted.

"Fine, but if you call me your mate, I'm going to call you hot cross buns."

His mouth turned upward. "That's a cute nickname, baby. You can call me anything you want, and I'd love it."

Rowena bit her bottom lip.

Selig grimaced. "Liar! What if she called you Butt Munch? You'd like that too?"

Rowena swallowed her laughter.

"Be quiet," Cross growled.

"Boys, stop fighting," Winona, their mother called out from the entrance. She pointed at the host, who was staring at her phone. "You, are you going to seat us?"

The host, a young woman in her twenties, didn't bother looking up. "How many in your party?"

Abby, who was standing behind her parents, answered, "Eight people."