Chapter 14: Never Cheat a Witch

Things only bother you if you let them

It was advice her therapist gave Rowena during their last session together. She stared at the text message from her cousin Lorena.

Family dinner tonight. Be there. Your parents are back.

Her parents had gone to Hawaii on an extended vacation without telling her. Carmen mentioned there being a Flores family text group and Rowena had not been invited. A ball of discomfort sat heavy in her stomach.

Her fingers moved across the touchscreen of her phone.

Have plans with Cross and work. Maybe next time.

"You okay, Rowena?" Abby asked from across the breakfast table, causing Liam, Matt, and Cross to stop eating.

Her boyfriend's eyes narrowed. "Did someone else threaten you?"

"Say the word, Rowena," Matt added. "We'll kill them."

Liam gave a single nod. "Slowly."

Abby chuckled. "Clearly, the upcoming full moon is making the men violent."

Winona and Bruce, Cross and Abby's parents were both at the table. Winona chewed a piece of bacon thoughtfully while her husband leaned forward. "Back in my day, men used to hole up in the bedroom with their mates a few days before the full moon. Took the edge off."

His lids lowered slightly, and the corner of his mouth twisted up. "It's how Selig was born."

Abby spat out her orange juice. "Do you mind? I'm trying to eat here. I don't need to know these things."

Winona rolled her eyes. "It's human nature, Abby. When you find your mate, the full moon will burn in your blood."

"What if she mates with a different shifter?" Rowena asked, genuinely curious. Her eyes widened, and she turned to Abby. "I read about penguin shifters once. They fall in love and mate for life."

Winona coughed. "There are no such things as penguin shifters." She glared at her son. "Haven't you told your human anything about our world?"

"Mother." His voice was a warning.

"I read my tarot cards last night," a plain-looking woman said. "Trouble is brewing."

Rowena leaned closer to Cross and whispered, "Who is that?"

"Angelina," Cross reminded her. "You saw her yesterday, remember?"

Rowena glanced back at Angelina. "Is it just me, or does she look worse than yesterday?"

Cross nodded. "She's still angry about the curse. It's probably making her soul uglier."

"Which is making her look different." Abby sighed. "Maybe I should remove the curse."