Chapter 13: Drama on Date Night

Rowena was about to cut a heifer

Rowena was about to cut a heifer. Her eyes narrowed on the buxom brunette in a short leather skirt and ruffled peasant top smiling at Cross as she led them to their table which resembled an oversized Sand dollar. They were at Barnacles, a fancy restaurant that served garlic knots and automatically added a twenty percent tip with each meal. Rowena had never been to Barnacles. The prices were a bit too steep for her wallet and her ex-boyfriends never seemed interested in dining at a restaurant with an underwater theme that included sharks bursting from the dining room walls. Its interior design was a mash-up of The Little Mermaid meets Pirates of the Caribbean meets Jaws. She loved it!

"Is there anything else I can get you?" asked the server. She batted her lashes at Cross. Her nametag read Winni but Rowena figured someone misspelled it. It should've read W-H-O-R-E.

"The menus," Rowena reminded her.

The server ignored Rowena and handed the menus to Cross. "If there's anything you need, please let me know." She ran a finger across her chest. "Anything at all."

To his credit, Cross wasn't paying attention to Winni. He handed a menu to Rowena. "Baby, I didn't know you liked seafood."

"I love all food," Rowena said, glaring at the brunette, who was still waiting for Cross to acknowledge her. "Except Chipotle."

"You don't like Chipotle?" The waitress gaped at Rowena.

"Nope. I dislike Americanized Mexican food just as much as I dislike other women staring at my man instead of bringing me a strawberry lemonade," Rowena hissed, pulling out the steak knife from the grouped silverware tucked into a red cloth napkin.

Winni's mouth fell open, and she looked to Cross for help, but he was grinning at Rowena. She cleared her throat and took a step back on her heeled boots before spinning around and rushing to the kitchen.

"I'm your man?" Cross smirked.

Rowena pointed her knife at him. "Are you denying it?"

"Never." His lips spread into a wide smile.

She couldn't help the tips of her mouth turning up. She put the knife down. "That woman was so rude. She totally ignored me to ogle you."

"She wasn't ogling me and if she was, it wouldn't matter. I'm here with you, my future mate. Wolves usually mate for life. It's very rare for those bonds to be broken. It happens-but I don't think you and I will have that problem."

Rowena looked around before lowering her voice. "Aren't you worried we may not get along in the future?"

He shook his head. "No, I had a visceral reaction when I met you. You were unconscious, but it still counted. That's never happened before. I've dated women, but none could attract me the way you did. Besides, your abuela said we were soulmates. You can't deny that."

Rowena's smile faltered. "Are you only with me because she said we were soulmates? You realize she's old? Has cataracts? Could've been wrong?"

Cross chuckled, shaking his head. "That doesn't matter. Even if she never mentioned us being soulmates, I'd still feel this connection to you."