Chapter 19: The Bloodsucker's Warning

A pack of wolves raced to the alpha's home as vampires surrounded the mansion

Cross growled. "These bloodsuckers dare to come on my land?" Sharp claws extended from his fingers. "All the men with me. Selig, Abby, and Mom will stay here with Rowena and the other hexing witch."

"Cross, are you sure this is safe" Rowena asked. She pushed back the covers and struggled to sit up.

"Baby, I promise we'll be fine." He smiled and his teeth grew for a few seconds before retracting. "We have sharp teeth too."

He leaned toward her, his hand on her cheek. "I need to know you're here safe while we get rid of the vampires."

"Cross, I may be feisty and don't always think before speaking but I'd be crazy to try and fight a vampire."

"Well, you did try to fight my mom," Cross reminded her.

Rowena's eyes narrowed. "Don't remind me."

He kissed her lips and her forehead before leaning back. "Let me take care of the unwanted guests and then I'll be back."

Her hand tightened against his forearm. "You promise?"

Instead of answering, he pulled up her hand and kissed her knuckles. Rowena watched as the wolf shifters exited the room before dragging herself out of bed.

Abby rushed forward to help her stand.

Selig cleared his throat and smoothed his hair before standing next to Poppy. "This may seem like a bad time but are you single?"

The hexing witch raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

Winona shook her head. "I swear, Selig. If you weren't my son, I would've sold you to the trolls."

"Rude," Selig huffed. He turned back to Poppy. "So, I'm not hearing a no. Does that mean you're available?"

Poppy stepped back. "Are you on medication?"

Selig grinned. "Are you a witch? Because I'm under your spell."

Abby slapped the back of her brother's head. "Knock it off, Selig."

Rowena stood at the window with Abby holding up her weight.

"I've read about wolves and vampires fighting before," Rowena said. She lowered her voice, "The vampires usually win."

"You're wrong," Winona snapped. "Wolves are highly superior to vampires. These vampires will soon learn to never enter an alpha's territory uninvited."

"It's because of me," Poppy said, sighing.

Selig turned around to face her. "You?"

Poppy shrugged. "They sort of think I'm their queen."

Winona growled.