Chapter 16: Spilling the Legumes

Her skirt was too short, and her blonde wig leaned too far to the left on her head

Her skirt was too short, and her blonde wig leaned too far to the left on her head. Rowena smoothed her hands over the grey schoolgirl skirt before tightening the knot of the white dress shirt she wore.

"Remind me again why we're dressed like Britney Spears in her heyday?" Rowena hissed at Abby, who was frowning at her thighs. The orange pleather bodysuit she wore made a squealing sound similar to flatulence.

"You said you wanted a disguise while we were at Little Mikey's," Abby reminded her. "Be grateful you're not wearing a pleather bodysuit. My thighs are chafing right now!" She stepped out of the van, causing another squeak from our outfit.

"Oops, she did it again," Warning, the troll Cross agreed to pay in order to get information from Little Mikey, said. She turned her head to Liam and Matt, waiting for them to laugh. "You get it? She's dressed like Britney Spears in that video?" When they didn't respond, she cleared her throat. "Never mind."

Cross stepped behind Rowena. "I really like the braids." He tugged on one of her pigtails.

She rolled her eyes. "So, what's the plan? We pretend to be customers while Warning flirts with Little Mikey?"

"I don't know if this is going to work," Matt cautioned. "He's dating Gina. What if he doesn't fall for it?"

"He was flirting with Karen while he was dating Gina," Abby reminded him. "Once a cheater, always a cheater."

"You don't know if he was flirting," Liam reminded them. "All you know is that he talked to Karen. That doesn't mean he was flirting."

"It doesn't mean he wasn't," Rowena muttered. Abby lifted her hand and Rowena gave her a high-five. "This isn't rocket science. How hard is it to cut someone out of your life?"

"That's right," Abby agreed. "Little Mikey consciously made a choice to maintain a relationship with a woman he had an intimate relationship with."

"That doesn't mean he cheated," Liam argued. "Gina should've trusted him."

Rowena's mouth tilted downward. "So, if you stab me in the back, I should ignore that and still think you're not a danger? Get real, Liam. You don't have to put your hand in the fire to know it's going to burn. Little Mikey betrayed Gina the moment he started his secret conversations with Karen."