Chapter 18: The Other Hexing Witch

Cross stared at his phone

She was dead.

"Who's dead?" Selig asked, his arms crossed at his chest. His family stood around the bed Rowena laid in.

Cross must've spoken aloud. He cleared his throat and answered his brother, "The hexing witch who was supposed to help Rowena. My contact at PUN just texted me."

Winona made a clicking sound with her mouth. "Hexing witches are rare."

"They generally have a short life span," her husband, Bruce, added.

"Dad," Abby hissed, jerking her chin to Cross before pantomining herself zipping her mouth closed.

"Your Father is right," Winona said. She frowned at her son. "Are you sure you want her as your consort and mate? You may be setting yourself up for heartbreak."

A growling sound emanated from his chest. "Mother!"

She raised her hands in surrender. "I know, I know. She's the only one for you but I'm your mother and this just seems like a bad idea."

"Cross loves Rowena," Abby reminded her mother.

Winona sighed. "Thats exactly the problem." She turned to stare at Rowena. "I do admit, I feel a bit sorry toward her knowing how dreadful her family is. I've never met such awful people."

"Do you know why they're so hateful?" Bruce asked.

"Some people are just haters," Selig answered with a shrug.

"Her family was born with gifts," Cross explained. "Except Rowena. They thought her mother had an affair so she resented her daughter for a while. Then Rowena was the outcast in her family. They're not all as cruel to her as the three at the restaurant."

"But they don't stand up for her either," Abby muttered.

"So, Rowena just recently came into her powers?" Winona asked.

Cross nodded. "She was wrecking her ex-boyfriend's car with a baseball bat when she made her first hex."

"Your wolf, Reed?" Bruce asked.

Again, Cross nodded. "At the time all his neighbors were watching."

Bruce made a humming sound. "I've heard that some witches come into power once they're around other paranormal beings. All their energy activates their magic."

"Like some sort of magical switch?" Liam asked. He was sitting in a chair next to Rowena's bed.

Matt smiled. "Are you saying our pack activated Rowena's magic?"

"This isn't a good thing," Cross said. "You heard my parents. Hexing witches don't have a long lifespan."

"Well, we need to make sure Rowena lives a long life," Selig interjected. He pursed his lips together. "Your source at PUN didn't know any other hexing witches who could help Rowena?"