Chapter 6: The New Boss

Rolando pressed his hands and face against the glass of the store windows directly facing the parking lot

Rolando pressed his hands and face against the glass of the store windows directly facing the parking lot. His nostrils flared as he glared at the crowd dancing around the mariachi singers playing Kenny Loggins' Footloose.

"Who knew they could play an entire eighties playlist?" Rowena asked. She was standing next to Rolando, chewing on a protein bar.

A vein in Rolando's temple throbbed. "I have enough to deal with because of Karen's murder. Did you have to ask them to play the Dirty Dancing theme song?"

"I love that song! If I ever get married, I want that song played with my husband pulling a Patrick Swayze and carrying me above his head like Jennifer Grey." Rowena looked up and grinned, imagining herself in a monstrous wedding gown.

Rolando stared at her for a few beats. "You're not kidding, are you?"

Her eyes widened. "Have you watched that movie? It's a classic! The end is my favorite part, especially when Patrick Swayze tells that guy from Law and Order, 'Nobody puts Baby in a corner.' It was the best!"

"Flores, when you say things like that, it makes me pity your future husband."

Rowena frowned before taking another bite of her protein bar. "Why?"

"Dirty Dancing is a movie," her manager reminded her.

"I know," Rowena said. "What does that have to do with my future husband?"

"A man would never tell his girlfriend's father not to put her in a corner before breaking out in a perfectly choreographed dance sequence, which includes lifting his woman into the air. You watch these movies and read your books in your book club-it's not fair to your future husband. He'll never live up to it."

Rowena's thoughts drifted to Cross. He didn't seem overly romantic.

The mariachi singers began playing Como la Flor by Selena Quintanilla. Rolando turned back to them and said, "You forget, women write most of these male characters. Real men would never think to do half the romantic gestures that women come up with."

Before Rowena could argue with him, Rolando pulled out his cell phone. "Do you think I should just call the police on them?"

"The mariachi singers?"

"Yes. They're trespassing. The only reason I haven't called is that I wouldn't want it to get out that I called. I could just pretend to be anonymous, but Clarkton is a small town," Rolando explained. His face scrunched up in thought as he tapped his phone against his thigh.

Rowena glanced around before leaning forward and lowering her voice. "I could help you with those mariachi singers... for a price."

"I will not force the rest of the team to join the book club, Rowena!"

Her head jerked back. "As if I'd sully our club with volun-told members. I don't want that."

"Then what do you want?" Rolando's hands were on his hips.