Chapter 10: The Stare-Off Battle

Her eyes were watering

Her eyes were watering. Rowena scrunched her nose but refused to blink. She was in the middle of a staring contest with Winona Howler and this was one battle Rowena refused to lose. They were in Cross' living area, waiting for his brother, Selig, to return from the police station.

Liam and Matt were sitting opposite Rowena, smiles on their faces. They'd seen no one last so long against Winona in a staring match. Usually, a less dominant creature felt compelled to look away.

"Just look away, Ro," Abby urged. "I've seen my mom win tons of these staring contests. It's not worth trying."

Rowena grunted. "I once got into a staring match with a member of the Mexican Mafia. Your mother doesn't scare me."

"I'm not sure I should ask," Bruce Howler said, "but why would you get into a staring match with a gang member?"

"He stole my parking spot in front of the Dollar Tree."

The alpha's father blinked. He opened his mouth to ask a follow-up question, but Cross cleared his throat and gave his head a shake, discouraging his father from continuing.

Cross placed a can of soda on the coffee table in front of Rowena.

"Baby," he whispered. "You don't have to do this. I told you, I'll make them leave if you're not comfortable."

Winona's mouth turned into an angry slash at the bottom of her face. "I gave birth to you, Cross. Your head was the size of a bowling ball and now you're choosing a human over me? Your own mother? Have you ever squeezed a bowling ball out of a hole the size of a quarter?"

"Eeeww! Too much information, mother!" Abby groaned while Bruce chuckled.

"We talked about this." Cross leaned back into the plush cushions of the sofa; his arms outstretched. "You're my mother—I love you. That doesn't mean it's okay for you to insult my future mate. By attacking Rowena, you're really attacking me."

"I know what's best for you," Winona argued. "Did you see what she did to Angelina?"

Bruce's laughter became louder.

"It's not funny. She's hideous!" Winona cried, her blue eyes never blinking as they stared into Rowena's eyes.

"You should give up, Winona," Rowena suggested. "I can do this all day. I used to fall asleep in Pre-Algebra class with my eyes open."

"You're no match for me, human," Winona sneered. "There's no way you're going to win this match. I have more dominance than you."

"If by dominance you mean wrinkles, then yes," Rowena agreed.

Winona gasped, her mouth falling open. "How dare you! I do not have wrinkles!"

"Fine, but you do have a really thick chin hair," Rowena said, tapping her own chin with her finger.