XIII

Alver is unable to move. Something heavy was holding him down on the bed. What the fuck?! It squirms!

Squirm?

He jolted awake and noticed two red hairs on both sides of his head.

Red?

Red?

"Good day, Alvery!"

"Good day!"

Damn. His life will be cut short if he continues to be surprised by everything these twins do. He closed his eyes, hoping it was all a dream, when he felt them move to his front and adorably put their hands on their chins, grin at him, and enjoy their prank on him.

Damn it. Just plain damn it.

He used to be the one clinging to them, but now they're the ones doing it. The twins used to ignore his existence, but now they won't let him go for the day. Consider the count storming in and beating the lights out of him.

He stood up calmly and slipped away from the rascals. He was changing his clothes slowly when he heard—-

"Good abs."

"I want one too."

"Bulky meaty muscles."

"Bulky meaty tiddies!"

Aren't they embarrassed? Alver was beyond embarrassing. He blushed furiously. He dashed to the bathroom and performed his morning rituals.

He wanted to keep a safe distance, but...

They're back in the bathroom, staring at him.

"Why aren't you taking that necklace?" Rok inquired.

"Come on, take it off!" Cale exclaimed, unceremoniously removing the necklace. When the three of them stumbled into the tub, Alver panicked and reached for the child's hand. When Rok joined the fray, he was trying to keep the necklace on his neck but clumsily slippers when he did so, and they all fell into the bath. Alver did his best to keep them safe, but when they fell, he forgot about the necklace.

*Splash!*

Rok and Cale looked at him.

"Woah."

Cale had the necklace in his hands. Alver, a dark-skinned man, sat beneath the twins.

"You're more handsome in this form," Rok said subconsciously.

"Oh, so this is what they call the secret of his birth," Cale says.

Rok: Did you know?

Cale: Oh, I didn't tell you.

Rok waited for his brother to say something.

Cale: Alver's ascension to the throne was met with opposition from the moment he revealed his birth. But I wasn't exactly there.

Rok: but?

Cale: he was sentenced to death and deposed as emperor.

The first few chapters of The Birth of a Hero had only been read by Rok. Cale was well aware of what lay beyond the scope of the War of the Whales and Mermaids.

They both looked at Alver, down to his abs and back again. Alver was about to say something but decided to wait and see how they reacted. It's fine, but it's also—how should he put it?—awkward.

Rok began, "I like this look more."

"Yeah... what race are you?" Cale agreed.

Alver was taken aback and rendered speechless beyond words.