XX

As soon as Alver grabbed the spear, the stone door opened.

Rok and Cale were able to sneak past one of the pillars as they dragged Alver out. They needed to be quick and fluid, which is why they hid behind the curtains and exited without being noticed.

When the twins realize they are no longer in danger, they burst out laughing. It wasn't the ideal situation, but their laughter brightened everything.

"We do look like thieves," Rok says.

"It'll be our little secret," Cale says.

Rok leaned against his brother and gazed at Alver.

Alver looked at them. A single tear fell from his eyes. He looked at them and formally closed his palms to his chest.

"I, Alver Crossman, first prince, dark elf, and future Sun of Rowoon, made this pact with Rok and Cale, the Guardian Twins of Northeast."

The twins were taken aback.

"I will respond to your trust and confidence by rising as the Sun to a place of peace and happiness; I will make this pact alone, and no matter what happens, I will accept any punishment you deem to me; and I will never betray you, even until the time you betray me."

"We, the Guardians of the Northeast, made this pact that until you become the Sun of Rowoon, we will help you with your endeavor and fulfill all your wishes. Until you fail or falter, we shall guide you back. Until the day you give our ideals and dreams, be it known, that we will never betray you," the twins said to Alver.

When Alver smiled at them, the twins returned the smile. They exchanged vows, and the twins soon compelled Alver to wear the pendant that revealed his true identity.

"Your Highness, we hope that you will be able to freely express your true self in the future," the twins said with a sincere smile.

They made a promise to each other. It was for a future that would soon become a reality. They don't need any more questions; all they need are promises and mutual efforts to keep their end of the bargain.

Rok and Cale wanted a place where their mother and grandfather could live freely without fear of being chased away. Alver longs for a place where he can be completely honest with himself.

"Ah, beating Alvery exhausts me," Rok remarked as he moved to his younger brother's back and wrapped his arms around his neck. He climbed on his brother's back and pretended to be some spoiled brat.

"My hyung is feeling lazy again," Cale said, piggybacking him up.

Rok laughs and rests his head on Cale's shoulder.

"Well, we'll go home now," Cale said, "because Vicross could be flipping the palace right now." Rok smiled as he waved to Alvery. "Bye! Bye!"

The two redheads were laughing on their way back. It's a good thing they used Alver's dye magic before they left.

"So slow! Giddyap!" exclaims Rok, pointing ahead.

Cale laughs and runs fast, hoping to bump his head into his brother's chin or make him dizzy with his speed. The snow fell soon, and both the twins looked up.

"Hyung..."

"Hm?"

"This kind of life is really good..." Cale said, his gaze shifting to his brother.

Rok looked down and said, "We'll make it even better."

The twins looked up and reflected on some poignant events in their lives. Their attention was drawn to the white snowflakes that danced in the light breeze. They looked down and saw their father's familiar silhouette standing nearby.