XXXVII

No one is telling them anything. Cale and Rok exchanged glances.

"Do not forget," Rok said, "this resentment, Cale."

Cale looked at him and said, "I am you... You are me."

"We will get back to the people who took our world away," the twins said, looking at each other.

[***]

It is time for breakfast, but the twins have not arrived yet. He had waited a long time and had decided to pay them a visit after eating when the doors opened. Two redheads were solemnly looking at each other.

He can not help but feel dejected when the usually cheerful twins dress in black and wear solemn expressions.

He stood up and gave them a heartfelt smile. They both held each other's hands and his. He could not help but feel helpless as these two clutched his hand tightly.

He looked at Violan, who nodded at him. The children need him more than they need him. She knew that Jour sent them here for a reason and this was it. It was to keep them safe and sound, as free as everyone else.

Deruth knew that staying as is wouldn't be able to protect these children much. If he wants to keep them safe, he has to work hard and make it so that no one will be able to touch them.

Of course, he didn't leave them alone. He was always with them the day they finally come out of their room. He watched them reading and reading, training to make their bodies strong and their smiles vanished.

Deruth didn't know what to do. He wants to see them with their usual chaos, their usual mischievous expression, their usual antics. He want to see them happy.

But he can't say anything.

He could only kiss their forehead, unsure what to do. Nonetheless, he hoped that by tomorrow, they would be smiling back at him.

He arrived at the royal palace for the usual aggravating meeting. Zed Crossmans had been hurling daggers at him. In the conference hall, the normally neutral and antagonistic Count remained silent. He could not care less about these messed-up nobles. He really wanted to go back home and be by his children's side right now.

"Deruth Henituse," he stood up blankly and sighed.

"I know you have some problems in the county but don't bring them here in the conference."

"Then, Your Majesty," he asked honestly, "what must I do to restore a child's smile on their face?"

Everyone was silenced by his question.

"No matter what I say, the nobles will not be listening anyway. Why bother wasting my time in this kind of work when it is all for their self-service?" he admitted honestly, "You know... Seeing how my twins lived before they came to my side, they're far happier than they were with me. It is the same with the people of Rowoon."

They're better off by themselves than when the Nobles interfere.

Deruth realised why he was the Henituse Household Patriarch for the first time.

Jour's adversaries could be nobles or someone more powerful.

He did nothing to secure the county, which is why she died in his backyard. Without anything left behind, without anything to place in that empty casket.

It got to the point where she just vanished, leaving nothing behind.

He made the wrong choice by doing everything for the people.

He should've made the choice with his family at the center of everything.

"Weston City will not participate in Rowoon's politics. I, Deruth Henituse, the Northeast, shall make it so my land will flare on its own."