Chapter 6 - The Waiting Game

(Songs for this chapter -
Let Me Touch Your Fire - ARIZONA
Wish I Was - AYLA)

REAPER POV

He's worried about me, i know it will be seen as a stupid thing to do but in my mind it wasn't a big deal. I have done far worse for a lot less. He's looking over my shoulder like i just took a bullet for him. I would in a heartbeat but this doesn't need that kind of attention. If he knew about all the things I've been through he wouldn't be acting like this. I would just be another fucked up soldier in his mind.

"We'll put it back in now you can't go another 2 klicks and a 2 hour car ride with it out." He says once his assessment is complete.

"Kneel down." he says it with a stern voice. If i wasn't already going to kneel i feel my knees would of given way. I do as he says and sit down on my heels. He's still bracing my shoulder as i move.

"Soap," he begins as Soap moves to next to him on my right side. "When i tell you to pull on Reapers arm hard and then slowly raise it until you hear the pop." Soap nods to his request and Ghost moves around to my left side and he takes a knee next to me. I take my gloves off so Soap can get a better grip on my arm and hold out my hand in an awkward manner to him.

"Put your other arm around my neck." Ghost orders and i comply, my body moving faster than my brain translating his words. "I'm going to brace your body so you don't move when Soap puts your arm back in, is that alright?"

I nod for fear if i try to speak no words will come out. He asked for permission to touch me. He actually asked. I don't think i have ever been asked before. He slowly moves his right hand around behind my neck, to my right shoulder and rests it's on my collar bone. His other hand goes around the front of me to the ribs just under my right shoulder. My heart is beating so fast he must be able to feel it radiating through my entire body. And thinking about him being able to feel it is making the beating even worse.

Soap grabs my wrist and forearm, getting into position. "Ready?" Ghost asks me. I turn and look at him, his face is right up next to mine. Although its dark i can see him so well even without night vision goggles. I nod. Not breaking eye contact with him. "Soap." he says asking soap to begin. Soap pulls on my arm and Ghost tightens his grip on me from both his hands. My breathing has sped up and gotten louder but not from the pain, from Ghost. His hands are so strong but gentle at the same time.

"I got you." Ghost says determinedly as Soap starts to lift my arm trying to pop it back in.

"I know." I breathe out but the words come out shaky and half cracked. Ghost being this close and touching me is completely distracting me from the pain of my arm. I feel his thumb start to caress one of my ribs. The grip from the rest of his hand not loosening. Is he even aware he's doing that to me. My whole body has goosebumps, lucky for me he can't see any of my skin. His eyes are fixated on mine, full of protective instincts.

I tighten the hand that's griping his neck. Two can play at that game. My fingers find the edge of where his mask meets the collar of his shirt. And i tuck them under to touch is spine. He stops breathing for a moment, his breath caught in his throat. His breathing recovers quickly, but his skin doesn't. I'm not the only one whose body betrays them.

POP.
My shoulders back in place.
"Got it," Soap says pleased with himself.

"Good lad." Ghost answers, we still haven't moved. I don't want to, I don't think either of us do. The skin to skin contact has us locked together in more ways than one. I hesitantly take my fingers out from under his mask, careful to place it back in the right spot so he isn't uncomfortable. As i take my arm off his neck he takes his off of me and I've suddenly never felt so cold.