THREE

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

When the song Athena was listening to paused for a few seconds, she heard the loud banging on the door before the song started again, drowning out the sound of knocking. 

Blinking, she checked the time on her phone and her eyes went wide when she saw it had been three hours since she laid on the bed and did nothing but stare at the ceiling, overthinking things.

Quickly, she jumped to her feet, turning the music off and ran to the door, unlocking it. Henry stood there, frowning. 

"I've been knocking for ages!" he exclaimed, examining her face.

Athena acted surprised. "Oh? I had my headphones on." 

Henry nodded slowly. "Well, the boys wanna hang out downstairs, why don't you come?"

She thought for a moment before shrugging and following him down the stairs.

A sound of glass shattering sounded from the kitchen and Athena bolted there, if anything happened to her mother's precious vases and stands . . . she was as good as dead.

"I told you to get out, you dumbass, it's your fault!" Isaac was yelling. 

"You're the one that won't stop being a little bitch and hand over the fucking bread!" Blake snapped, rolling his eyes.

"Well, you're such a—!"

"Will you two shut up?" snarled Athena, interrupting Niall's insult.

The boys turned to her, shocked. 

"Athena, we're sor—"

"Get out."

"Let me clea—"

"I SAID GET THE FUCK OUT!"

They were all out in a second.

Cursing under her breath, she grabbed a broom and started sweeping the shattered glass of her mother's newest big, navy blue vase. 

When she finished, she glared around the kitchen, eyes softening when she realised they were trying to make something to eat.

She made turkey and cheese sandwiches, tea and poured some chocolate chip cookies and biscuits into bowls.

She carried the tray to the living room where they all sat, watching a movie.

Their eyes lit up when she set the tray on the coffee table. 

"Thanks, Athena!" they chanted.

Athena shrugged, rolling her eyes with a small crooked smile and sat next to Niall.

He handed her a cheese sandwich and despite not being hungry, she accepted it with a nod.

"So, do you work?" asked Emmet, watching the way she tore off the edges of the bread before nibbling on it. 

"Mhm. Café around school."

"Why would you work when you're clearly loaded?" asked Blake, looking confused.

Athena didn't look at him as she scoffed. "I like to use my own money."

"You don't get along with your parents?" asked Blake, raising his eyebrows.

Athena stiffened. "Parent," she corrected. "And my step father."

The boys, excluding Henry, shared a look.

"Drop it, guys," he said, shaking his head and sending Blake a warning look.

"You're in Year thirteen now, right?" asked Isaac, changing the topic.