FIVE

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

Just as Athena and the boys began to set the table in the dining room, the doorbell rang and Athena hurried to see who it was. Her mouth fell open when she saw her step father, Will Graves, striding in with a huge smile.

Will Graves was a tall, handsome forty-year-old man. He was well built with brown hair and hazel hooded eyes. Despite being forty, not a single white hair could be seen in neither his hair nor his beard. Either he had some fucking awesome genes or he dyed his hair.

Athena didn't see much of him usually, he was always busy, being the CEO of a huge worldwide known company. He travelled a lot, too. Actually, a lot was an understatement, he was barely home.

But Athena and Atlas loved him like their own father.

He was there for them, he stuck around even when he found out Ember was sleeping with other men, he acted as though he didn't know and for that Athena felt as though she owed him.

She first met Will when she was five. She was lost in some street, her mother having left to some store, ordering Athena to stay where she was. Athena being Athena, did not listen and wandered around eventually getting lost in a crowded street.

"Mum?" called five-year-old Athena, looking around curiously. "Mum!"

"Hello, there," said a kind looking man wearing a suit. He was walking and stopped when he heard her call.

Athena cocked her head curiously. 

"Are you lost?" asked the man gently, crouching to her height.

"I think so." Athena nodded her head.

The man chuckled. "I'm Will."

She grinned and stuck her hand out for him to shake. "Thena."

Will grinned and shook her small hand. "Nice name."

"Thank you!" Athena beamed. "Can you help me find Mum?"

"Sure, where did you last see her?"

She bit her lip, unsure and coughed into her hand.

"You don't know?" he guessed, his eyes ever so kind. "It's all right, just tell me."

Athena shook her head slowly.

"It's okay, I'll just walk you around, maybe you'll remember." He rose to his full height and offered her a hand. 

Athena hesitated and he smiled.

"Don't worry, you're safe with me. I'm not gonna hurt you, kiddo."

Athena smiled and took his hand, beginning to walk with him, starting to talk about her doctor toys.

"You want to become a doctor?" asked Will, looking down at her with a smile.

Athena nodded excitedly. "I'll help everyone! Then no one can leave! And everyone will be happy!"

Will chuckled, his smile turning a bit sad. "That's lovely. You're a very kind girl, Athena."

"Thank you!"

"But you can't save everyone. Not really. You try, though."

Athena frowned but nodded. "Okay."

Will smiled and looked around. "Does this place look familiar to you, love?"

Athena looked around and nodded, eyes lighting up. "Mum told me to stay next to the cute dog!"