TWENTY-TWO

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

Blake's black Jeep was parked on the side and, fortunately, there were no security guards around.

She hopped into the passenger seat with a blank expression.

"Harper has a photoshoot, she won't make it," he told her as he started the car.

She ignored him. Over the past few days, she had figured that he took satisfaction when she argued or talked back and he got pissed off when she gave him the silent treatment.

So that's what she was going to do. Ignore him.

And he was silent, too. Well, for the first half of the trip.

When he paused in front of a red light, he turned to her and grinned. "So, trouble in paradise with the boyfriend?"

Her fists clenched in her lap but she stayed silent, her eyes focused on the window.

"Everyone heard that phone call a few days ago, sounded pretty harsh, no?" he went on.

She bit on her lip to refrain herself from hurling all the expletives she knew at him.

"Did he really cheat or was it a play in front of his dickhead of a brother? And, anyway, how come you're so close to his brother? Did you two have a fling first? Even that Ryan kid back in Fordwich, he seemed bitchy, though. But there was a lot of tension between you two, did you date before?"

That did it.

"Shut up!" she snarled, turning to him with unmistakable anger on her face. "Just shut the fuck up, Blake, you don't know shit!"

Blake's eyes widened.

She wrenched the door open when she caught sight of the sign next to the mall.

She marched towards the entrance and paused when she realised she didn't know anything in the place. She clenched her eyes shut and leant against a glass panel.

"Athena?"

She opened her eyes and found Mira gazing at her worriedly.

"Mira, hey!" she said, smiling hastily.

"Hey, Blake gave me a call, said he lost you in the parking lot, he seemed worried. Are you okay?"

Blake? Worried about her? She almost laughed at the thought.

"Nah, I'm good."

Then she noticed how her outfit contrasted with Mira's.

Mira wore a pair of white jeans, a pink sweater, a pink beanie and a pair of pink boots.

Athena blinked and stood next to her, cringing slightly at the height difference. It wasn't too much but it was noticeable.

"I'm sure Blake told you Harper couldn't come?" Mira phrased as a question, as though expecting anything from Blake.

"Yeah," said Athena.

"Yeah, she was so pissed, but it's okay, we can always go out again!" said Mira brightly.

"Yeah, of course," said Athena, forcing a smile.

"So, what do you want to do first? Eat or start shopping?" said Mira, beginning to walk.

"Whatever you'd like," said Athena politely.

Mira smiled and began to lead her to the shops, talking about them and about her favourite places.

Athena wasn't really listening. She was observing how carefree Mira seemed as they walked. As though she and Emmet didn't have a fight the day before. As though nothing in the world mattered more than the shopping trip.