The Gorge

Uru's POV

So I know I am technically still grounded until tomorrow. But I really wanted to go to the water hole. So I snuck out while dad was out with Simba. Mufasa is on patrol. Sarabi is hunting with her sisters. While Sarafina, Nala, Estel and Nani are at the water hole. I spot Nala and start to stalk her, staying down wind.

Once within striking distance, I crouch lowly. I pounce and tackle her to the ground. Pinning her. "Pinned yah!" I cheer.

"Very nicely done Uru" Estel praises.

"You'll be a fine hunter one day" Sarafina adds as I let Nala up.

"Did you have to tackle me?" Nala asks shaking the dust from her fur.

"You're always practicing your fighting skills on Simba, why can't I practice hunting on you?" I ask her.

"She's got you there Nala" Nani chuckles.

"Aren't you still grounded?" Nala asks me.

"No" I lie and she gives me a look. "Technically yes, but it's my final day and I was thirsty" I state. I go have a drink.

"As long as she is back before Scar, it's fine" Sarafina states. Nala and I start to play, practicing our fighting skills. We're both evenly matched. Until it was declared we need a bath. Sarafina baths Nala, while Nani does me.

"I should probably head back" I state.

"Need an escort?" Estel asks.

"I know the way home" I assure her. We hear a roar. "You guys should go eat, bring me back some food" I tell them. Then set off for home. But I notice a dust cloud in the distance by the gorge and frown. Why would the wildebeest herd be on the move? Being the curious cub I am, I go to investigate.

I arrive to see something had scared the herd and caused a stampede. But what? I notice my dad walking along the cliff watching the herd intently. I crouch low behind a boulder to reamin hidden. Suddenly I see Mufasa leap out of it and start to climb the gorge wall with great difficulty. I watch has he reaches my father and smile. Dad would help him and everything would be ok.

But I couldn't of been more wrong. "Scar! Brother, help me!" Mufasa yells. He paws scrabble for purchase, kicking bits of rock into the stampede below. Scar glares a moment longer, then rears forward, digging his claws into Mufasa's paws. I gasp in shock as Mufasa roars in pain. What is dad doing?

Dad leans down and whispers something in Mufasa's ear. To lowly for me to hear over the stampeding herd. I see Mufasa's face darkens with horror. Dad heaves Mufasa into the stampede. Mufasa falls, flailing. "No!" I hear Simba shout and see him further down. From his angle he couldn't of seen my dad, only his falling into the stampeding herd.

I fight back tears as I look at my dad. What had he down? Had I seen right? Had he really let Mufasa fall to his death? Why? I don't understand. The herd left and I ran for it. Heading for Rafiki's tree. If there's a chance Mufasa is alive, Rafiki could help him.

"Rafiki!" I cry as I reach his tree. His head pokes out from the leaves. "Mufasa is hurt badly, there was a stampede in the gorge" I tell him. He swings down to me.

"Is he alive?" he asks.

"I don't know, I remember seeing falling into the stampeding herd" I state.

"I shall go see if there is anything I can do, return to pride rock" he tells me. I nod and take off. Mufasa will be ok, he has to be. He's the king. I arrive to see the others had returned.

"There you are Uru, where have you been?" Nani asks.

"Uru, what's wrong?" Sarabi asks noticing the tears running down my face.

"Something horrible has happened" I state. Before I can continue, dad lets out a low roar. Catching everyones attention. He is standing on a boulder as we gathered below him.

"I am afraid, today we have lost our king and prince" dad states. The others all gasp in horror asking for answers. While I am confused, Simba was alive when I saw him last. "There was a stampede in the gorge. Simba was trapped and Mufasa tried to save him. Dying and we could not find Simba's body, but found his blood" he explains.

"Mufasa's death is a terrible tragedy. The greatest leader the pride has ever known. To lose a brother. Such a deep, personal loss. And little Simba, who had barely begun to live, a cub whose blood held our future" dad says. Sarabi nuzzles me as she cries. I notice Sarafina doing the same with Nala.

"It's almost too much to endure. I only wish I had gotten to the gorge in time, been there to save them" dad states. I scowl, he was there. He climbs up pride rock. "And so, it is with a heavy heart that I must assume the throne" he declares. "Mufasa and Simba are gone, which means. I am your king" he states.

"Yet out of the ashes of this tragedy, we shall rise to greet the dawning of a new era" dad declares. I hear Zazu gasp beside me and look up. I start to shake as I hear the familiar laughs of hyenas. "In which lion and hyena come together in a great and glorious future!" he declares. The lionesses bunch together protectively around Nala and I. As the hyena's appear.

"Stay close Uru" Sarabi tells me and I nod my head. As I hear Sarafina the same thing. I notice dad looking amongst the pride and I cower under Sarabi. He spots me.

"Uru, come here" he says. I shake my head. "Now Uru!" he demands.

"It's ok sweetie" Sarabi assures me.

"You come" I plead. She nods.

"Hold your head high, no fear" she whispers. She sets off and I follow walking beside her. Head held high as instructed. Focusing on my dad and not the hyenas, we're passing. We're soon in front of my dad on the promontory.

"Yes, father?" I ask.

"You are now the crowned princess" he states. "I expect you to act like one and be loyal to me" he tells me.

"Yes father" I say nodding my head. He leans down and whispers in my ear.

"If you ever disobey me again, you'll be out of this pride quicker then you can say sorry" he whispers. I shiver. He nudges me towards the den. "Bed time" he says loudly for all to hear. I enter the main den. I hadn't slept here since I was fully whined. He goes to lay in Mufasa's old spot and looks at me expectantly.

I head over and lay beside him. As the rest of the pride appear. Sarabi lays near us as the rest of the pride slept around Nala. To protect her if needed. I wish I was there, I'd feel safer. But dad wants me by him, so I lay my head down and drift off to a restless sleep.

A/N

Gif above of Scar letting Mufasa fall and picture on the external link of Scar letting the hyenas take over pride rock.