Teenage Kiara

Malkia's POV

Malkia's POV

My sisters and I are now young adults. And we're in charge of Kiara's hunting training. Along with Tiifu and Zuri's. Mum has been MIA a lot ever since the prides run if with Zira when Kiara was a cub. I have no idea what that's about. But I've been focused on watching my sisters and helping train the next generation. Rozi is not so lazy anymore, in fact she has quiet the cunning mind. Kiburi is as fearless as ever and up for any challenge. Me? I am just happy to have such a beautiful and peaceful place to call home.

"Ow, I broke a nail!" Zuri cries. Rozi sighs in annoyance. Zuri always has something to complain about. Whether it be dirt or a broken nail.

"Shush, you'll scare the herd" Kiburi tells her. I examine Zuri's paw no blood.

"You'll live" I state. "Now watch all of you and pay close attention to how Kiburi and Rozi stalk the herd" I tell them.

"Are they going to catch one?" Kiara asks. As Kiburi and Rozi stalk towards the water buffalo herd.

"No, we hunted yesterday. This is just a demonstration" I state. "Now shush, watch. See how they are sticking down wind and are fanning out to encircle the herd" I say.

"Are they turning their paws over?" Tiifu asks squinting at them.

"Yes, it makes less nose then your pads" I state. They nod in understanding. Once they were in striking distance, they stopped. "That is how close you would like to get with larger prey. Smaller prey like gazelle and antelope are faster, more agile. You'll want to get as close as possible, before striking" I explain.

As Rozi and Kiburi walk away from the herd slowly. So as not to spook them. Once they were no longer in striking distance. They made more noise allowing the herd to hear and see them. The herd watches nervously, but relax when they see Rozi and Kiburi walking away. But they still decide to move on, not feeling comfortable with their presence.

"So now what?" Kiara asks.

"Time to see how your tracking is coming along" I state. "But first, choose who will lead the hunt. Remember this is a learning a experience, not a real hunt" I tell them.

"Kiara is lead hunter" Tiifu states.

"She is the future queen after all" Zuri adds as my sisters join us.

"Very well, Kiara find another herd. Preferable something small" I tell her. She nods and sets out. We all follow. She soon leads us to a herd of antelope. My sisters and I lay down and watch. As the young teenagers stalk the herd. Trying to get as close of possible to it without being noticed.

But Kiara steps on a twig and it snaps. Alerting the herd to them and they scatter. The girls curse as I walk down towards them with my sisters. "You always make a sound Kiara" Tiifu whines.

"We'll never make good hunters" Zuri sighs.

"Don't give up hope young ones" Kiburi tells them.

"Besides this is only practice" Rozi assures them.

"But Tiifu's right, I try to be so careful not to make a sound with my front paws. I forget my back ones and alert the herd to our presence" Kiara states.

"It just takes time and practice" I assure her. "Do you think we were successful on our first hunt?" I ask.

"You were" Zuri states.

"She meant first solo hunt" Kiburi states. "Rozi got lost in the swamp lands. I was to eager to prove myself and made rookie mistakes. Malkia did the best, but got hurt in the process" she explains.

"It'll be awhile before you can work effectively as a team. Longer to become skilled solo hunters" Rozi adds.

"I think that's enough training for one day" I state.

"Any advice?" Tiifu asks us.

"Stay down wind" Rozi tells them.

"Stay alert to any dangers, but don't lose focus" Kiburi adds.

"Just trust your instincts and each other" I tell them. "And Zuri maybe try not sharpen your claws every chance you get" I suggest.

"But if I don't sharpen them, they won't be shiny" she whines.

"No point trying Malkia, she won't change that habit" Rozi whispers to me.

"So what next?" Kiara asks.

"Fighting practice" Kiburi states and Zuri whines that she's going to get dirty.

"You need to know how to defend yourselves. The pride won't always be there to help. You need to be able to fight, to hold your own until help arrives" I explain. "Now watch Kiburi and Rozi" I tell them. As my sister start a mock fight. Not aiming to hurt each other, just showing how it's down. While keeping their claws to themselves. Kiburi soon pins Rozi.

"So who's first?" she asks the other three. Tiifu and Zuri back away. Kiara sighs and crouchs ready to fight.

"Remember never turn your back on the enemy, especially if it's an outsider" Rozi states.

"Why?" Tiifu asks.

"Because you become venerable and you can never trust an outsider to play fair. They will go for your eyes, try to take your senses away. Or fight you three on one" I explain.

"But that's not fair" Zuri states.

"Like my sister says, they won't play fair" Rozi states as Kiburi beats Kiara. She then spares with Tiifu and Zuri. Before taking on all three at once. She managed to knock them all away from her. She even had Tiifu and Zuri ram into each.

"Ow! I think I broke another nail!" Zuri cries. Tiifu nuzzles her.

"Ok, enough training for one day" I state.

"Lets return to pride rock" Kiburi agrees. On the way back. We stopped by the water hole for a drink. When we arrived Tiifu and Zuri immediately go over to their mother. Kiara just looks out at the pride lands in deep thought. My sisters and I leave her as we see our mother had returned. She was talking to Nala in hushed tones.

"We don't know for sure their her cubs, Zira was pregnant. You said so, they could be her's" her hear Nala say.

"No, she said Kovu was hand chosen by Scar. Not that she was his son" mum tells her.

"Look drop it ok?" Nala asks her. "Hi girls, how was training today?" she asks as we join them. My sisters and I greet our mother happily.

"Kiara still having problem with stealth. Zuri broke a nail and they all still have much to learn in regards to fighting" Kiburi states.

"But they are fast learners" Rozi adds.

"I'm sure with you three teaching them, they'll be pros in no time" mum states.

"You look tired mum" I say concerned.

"I'm fine, just had a few long days" she assures me. "Now lets call it a night" she states. Nala agrees and calls for Kiara to come to bed. My sisters and I lay with our mother. We all groom each other, before calling it a night. Sleeping in a pile. Rozi and Kiburi curled around each other. Mum resting her head on Rozi's back. While I rest mine on hers and drift off into a dreamless sleep.

A/N

Pictures above of Kirburi, Rozi, Malkia and teenage Kiara. Picture in chapter of teenage Zuri and Tiifu.