Ch.17

...

Ch.17

Angelina Fonzii

After changing out of those blister worthy heels and that tight dress I put on baggy sweats and a bralette, and make way to the kitchen.

Dinner was filling at the party but shooting bad guys is exhausting.

Who am I kidding? I'm always hungry.

As I'm walking down the hall I almost pass Mr. Moretti's office but pause by the stairs when I hear him speaking.

This better be James updating worthy.

I just got done informing him about earlier events of the day but he needs more details.

"Don't be ridiculous Domenico, you're capable of handling yourself in those situations ."

"I've done what you've asked now, what's the point of this?" Nico's voice replied.

"I've never once seen you dance with a woman at any of our parties or events son, that's the point." he continues, " I told you to gain her trust and you're gaining a lot more than that. You don't mix business and relationships son. You are very aware of who her father is."

They're talking about me. Well, Angelina, me.

There's a pause of silence.

Domenico's voice raised and I could hear the anger in his words. "I could fucking care less about the girl, I'm doing as you asked, if you could stay out of my shit I'll stay out of yours and we all win, now if I could take a fucking shower and sleep that would be nice."

Huh.

His words hurt a lot more than I should let them.

They sting like a fresh cut when I should really care less.

For this exact reason, I remind myself to detach and focus on my missions goals every 5 seconds.

Another pause.

"Very well, goodnight son."

I hear footsteps approaching and before the door could open to reveal him I rush down the stairs.

This is one of the parts of my job that I hate. I'm used to it of course but it doesn't make it any easier.

1 being essentially to go numb. If I show too much remorse or care for any of these people, I'll start to believe the feelings I'm experiencing. Or at least the pretend ones I create.

2 being the goal of the mission. I have to murder Lorenzo Moretti. I can only do so when my boss gives me the go of course.

I have to kill no matter who I hurt in the process.

Repeating their words in my mind.

"I told you to gain her trust."

"I could fucking care less about the girl."