6

Tether

Shizue has always been patient. 

Throughout their relationship, Levi stood by his words, and never once did he repeat those words again for her to hear. But it was okay,

As long as she was with him, she knew she was in her own happy place. They made each other feel comforted, loved, and complete. He made feel those things even through the smallest things. It didn't matter if it was as little as  making her breakfast, tucking her to bed whenever she falls asleep doing paperwork, and constantly being on the look out when they beyond the walls. Though Levi never told her, it was okay, because she knew he loved her. 

But even with all that, every second of everyday, Levi felt uncertain. As if there was always something pulling him back. 

His dark grey orbs observed her figure as Shizue got out from the stables after their long expedition, the moment she met his eyes, it gave him the impression she was still pretty angry at him.

"You're seriously the one who's pissed?" Levi couldn't help but scoff. "You were the one who disobeyed a direct order."

"Yes! Because that order was crap!"  Shizue stopped and faced him directly, he never seen her this vexed before. 

"If I hadn't got there, those recruits could've gotten hurt." His jaw clenched. 

"And you could've died! " Levi yelled angrily, which made her slowly back away. But this still didn't stop her from saying what she truly felt.

"Levi I get that-"

"No I don't think so." He snapped. "This is what you always do, you think of those damn brats before your own good."

The girl remained silent. Every time they ventured out the walls, Shizue had a very distinct habit of looking after her younger peers. It was something she couldn't ignore so easily. Because everyday she was reminded of her incompetence that cost her her own squad's life. That very day, Shizue promised herself that she will not make that mistake ever again.

"Shizue...."  Levi held her wrist, stopping her from possibly walking away as his mind made its final decision. It was that voice deep in his mind, he tried to silence for so long.

He convinced himself, He always tried to convince himself that that voice was nothing but a meaningless thought.

but now Levi knew, that voice was right.

Everything was bound to end somehow.

"I always knew this isn't gonna work out," 

Shizue grew confused, she retracted her hand a bit harshly. "wait. What are you saying?"

"This duty we have... it's too important."

Shizue didn't want to believe that he was actually about to utter those words.

No. He couldn't be serious. This was just a fight. It was normal for people in a relationship to fight ..., right?