⸻ FIVE ⸻

I succeed in the no-touching-myself department, but fail miserably in getting my beauty sleep

I succeed in the no-touching-myself department, but fail miserably in getting my beauty sleep. It isn't even nine when I arrive at work the next day, Tuesday, and I'm already exhausted, looking like a zombie. I have absolutely no idea how I'll keep my word to Kate and unpack my boxes today. Knowing myself, I'll get home, sign the lease, and fall face-first on my couch, eager to get some much-needed sleep.

On my way to the Troll's Lair, I stop by the break room to pour myself a coffee, which speaks volumes about my tired state. A fresh batch of magic bean juice is in the pot, and I pour some of it in a mug I picked from the cupboard. Since I loathe the taste, I add several spoonfuls of sugar. I'm on my fifth when a voice behind me startles me.

"Would you like some more coffee with that sugar?" It's Oliver, looking at me with a teasing smile. Now that I have slept on it, he's rather attractive. Not in the classical way, but there's something kind about him that's very reassuring and enticing.

I grimace, scrunching my nose. "Don't tell anyone, but I really don't like the taste of coffee," I confess.

"My lips are sealed." I can't help but smile when he mimics the gesture. "It seems we had the same idea," he adds, lifting his own empty mug in front of him. His cup is in the shape of Darth Vader's helmet. The detail makes my appreciation of him even greater.

"Don't take it the wrong way, but you look a bit...tired," he cautiously says. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, I was just too excited to sleep last night." Well, that isn't a lie.

"I get that," he says with compassion. "When I started here, it felt surreal."

"How long have you been here?"

"Almost since the beginning, seven years ago. We were eight in total, including Steven, Kev, and Lex."

"Kev?"

"Kevin Langley, the co-owner. He and Lex are childhood friends. Kev is the face of the company, the social one, and Lex is the engineer, the brain behind it all."

"Ke-Lex," I say, understanding where the company's name comes from.

"Yup." Oliver glances at the sugar that I'm still holding. "I don't know if you intend to finish it, but may I have a spoonful?"

I smile at his teasing. There is at least a pound of sugar in there. Of course I'm not going to finish it. I pour him a dose, and before he can react, I add a second one.

"Oh no, you lunatic!" he protests with a laugh, covering his mug with his hand. "I will know who to blame when my arteries clog up."

We both chuckle at his antics before heading to the Lair. Everyone is already here, and Brian looks up to give us a suspicious look. "Why are you two arriving at the same time?" he inquisitively asks.

I turn and look at Oliver, whose eyes are throwing daggers at our coworker. With a broad smile, I tell Brian, "I slept at his place. Best night of my life. Nothing will ever be the same," I pretend, signing for Joseph. This isn't even me trying to sound convincing, but Brian's jaw falls open.