⸻ EIGHTEEN ⸻

The next day, the silent agreement to ignore each other is still going strong between Lex and me

The next day, the silent agreement to ignore each other is still going strong between Lex and me. We still exchange when we need to for the app, but that's it. I have no desire to interact outside of it, nor does he. It might be childish to resort to such techniques, but it works.

A week passed since our inebriated kiss, and none of the tension faded. His presence still makes me jumpy and uncomfortable. Also, I can't shake Kate's suggestion out of my head.

As she said, I never had a "sex thing" before. I love this job, these new people, this city... No "sex thing" is worth putting all that in the balance. So, regardless of all the questions eating me from the inside, I'm still adamant about doing nothing about it.

That's why I'm so proud of myself when it's time to leave on Friday evening. Nothing happened, and I now have the entire weekend to clear my mind and decide on a course of action.

"Enjoy your weekend," I wish Lex, avoiding eye contact as I approach the door.

"Andrea, wait a moment." Every muscle in my body tenses, my mind catching in my throat and my heart dropping low. As often now, he remembers about etiquette and adds, "Please."

He's walking up to me when I turn, and something in his demeanor sends my brain into a frenzy. This isn't about work. It's about us, even though the thought is ludicrous. There is no 'us.' There's him, there's me, and there's a steamy kiss. It doesn't make an 'us.'

His hand combs through his hair nervously, his biceps flexing from the gesture. But my eyes don't linger there, drawn to where his shirt lifts just enough to reveal two inches of the tight muscles of his lower abdomen and the light patch of dark hair there. My throat dries at once, my skin flushing all over.

"I wanted to apologize for the way I behaved last week," he says, his arm back down.

I should probably be institutionalized because part of me resents that he's apologizing rather than owning it and having no regrets.

Hiding my sourness, I nod. "Me too. I'm sorry. I don't know what got into me," I lie. His eyes darken, his uneasiness fading away. Fuck, the last time he looked at me this way, I climbed on his lap and almost fucked him raw.

"I thought you said it was alcohol." He takes a small step forward, so I take one back.

"Yes, of course. The wine."

"I should have noticed you weren't yourself." Another step forward for him, another one back for me. He's onto something dangerous, and I don't like it.

His dark gaze and the way he hovers over me make it hard for me to think. He's slowly coaxing me into the state of arousal I usually find myself in around him. But this time, he's doing it on purpose. Three more steps back to counter his, I reach the armchair behind me, stopping my retreat. He halts way too close to my confused body.

"Are you tired?" he asks, his voice abnormally low. I shake my head, feeling like I could run a marathon. "Have you been drinking today, Andrea?"

Confused, I shake my head again, letting out a faint "No."