⸻ TEN ⸻

"Hi, Picasso," I tease Oli when I reach his desk the next day

"Hi, Picasso," I tease Oli when I reach his desk the next day. My strategy is to pretend like nothing ever happened, and to return to normal.

He squints his eyes, failing at looking offended. "In my defense, Daryl's wife was almost as bad as me."

"No, she wasn't. If I had to compare, she's Leonardo da Vinci, and you're Leonardo the ninja turtle."

He sighs. "Man, I wish. Pizza every day, fighting crime, doing backflips, having a shell..."

I chuckle at the last one. "Don't forget April. She's hot."

"Meh, I prefer brunettes," he says nonchalantly. Fuck, there goes going back to normal. "You wanted something?" he eventually asks, looking up at me.

With a low voice, I explain to him what I need. It's not that big a hack, but I lack the knowledge to do it. I'm too scared of my mom to do anything remotely illegal like this. "I'd do it myself, but I have a Tamagotchi to take care of," I pretend with humor once he's up to speed.

"I have an actual living cat that needs to be fed twice a day."

"Oh, right! I saw it on your Facebook profile."

"You stalked my Facebook?"

Shit. "I just wanted to make sure your name really was Paulson. What's his name?"

"Her name is Princess Twilight Sparkle," he answers. I offer him a dubious look, thinking he's messing with me again. "She's my little sister's, who's off to college. I still have two years with Princess Twilight Sparkle."

"I see..."

Silence settles itself between us, but he's quick to fill it again. "What do I get in exchange for the favor?"

"Well, I don't know. Do you have something in mind?"

He thinks about it for a moment. "I like to eat, and I'm free Friday."

"Then I'll invite you for dinner, Friday evening. I still don't know the good spots in Seattle, so you'll have to help me pick a place."

"I thought I'd invite you, actually," he corrects me.

"But I'm the one thanking you, not the other way around."

"I don't want our first date to be about repaying a debt."

His confidence surprises me, making my cheeks flush as my heartbeat hastens. The white knight in shining armor, the funny, smart, gentle Oli, wants a date with me. Here I am, trying to act like we never kissed, and he's a few steps ahead, already planning our first date.

For once, I'll listen to good sense. Oliver is perfect for me in many ways, and there's no reason why things between us wouldn't work out. We'll go on a date, things will be great, he'll be perfect, and for the first time in my life, I'll end up falling in love with someone.