⸻ TWELVE ⸻

I don't have a very good weekend

I don't have a very good weekend. Which is only normal, given how many things are plaguing my mind. First, I missed my date with Oli, which my roommate is a bit panini pressed about. Second, my obsession with my boss has grown substantially, which is terrible. Third, I'm expected to spend even more time around said-boss. Fourth, I had another vividly realistic wet dream about the man.

The future's looking really bright.

Somehow, when I get to work on Monday, there's another parameter that I forgot to account for. "So," Steven tells me, spinning his chair to face me when I arrive, "not even here for a month, and you're already working upstairs with the boss?"

It's a joke, I know it is, but it still makes my insides twist. From their point of view, it must look so suspicious. Especially knowing how our boss is. I didn't realize the news would spread so quickly. But my computer isn't on my desk anymore, so it makes sense they had questions.

"I tried to explain the situation," Oliver explains. "They can't wait to see this app you've created."

"Trust me," I say to Steven, eager to clarify things, "I'd rather be here with you guys than upstairs with him."

"Well, that's nice to hear," says a deep voice from behind me.

Ah, shit...

I slowly turn around, worriedly glancing at Lex, but he doesn't give me any attention and turns to the guys instead. "When the rest of your colleagues arrive, I want all six of you to come up to the conference room. We're going to rearrange a few things for the weeks to come." Without another word, he leaves us.

About ten minutes later, when Brian and Joseph arrive, all six of us head to the conference room, as instructed. There, we find the room nearly filled already, with more people still filtering in. Lex is speaking with a man I have seen before but never met. He's slightly shorter than Lex, his body is leaner, and his blond hair is neatly combed back, his face closely shaved. The man is devilishly handsome, but not in the same way as Lex. Alexander is dark and mysterious, while the other man is luminous and refined. The other big difference is that he's wearing a three-piece suit, while Alexander is back in his usual T-shirt and jeans. The contrast between the two men is striking, which makes the apparent familiarity between them somehow surprising.

The nerds go to greet them before sitting or standing around the large table. Alexander gestures for me to come to him, and I comply.

"Kev, this is Andrea Walker," he says, gesturing toward me. Oh, my other boss, Kelex's co-owner. "Andrea, this is Kevin Langley."

"I can't believe we haven't met sooner. It's great to finally meet you, Andrea."

"Andy, please. And yes, ditto. I've heard a lot about you," I salute back, shaking his hand.

"Lex tells me you're quite the genius with a keyboard," he continues. The compliment boosts my ego, and the utter pride I feel warms me all over. I glance at the object of the discussion, who's already busy talking to Steven and Brian.