⸻ TWENTY-SIX ⸻

Despite a rocky start, the day unfolds splendidly

Despite a rocky start, the day unfolds splendidly. Lex follows my advice and has a talk with Brian to break the tension that accumulated during breakfast. We get to enjoy more conferences, discover more companies, and then get back to the hotel for the evening.

It's apparently tradition to take part in the nerdy trivia held in the hotel's bar, and for the first time ever, there's an all-Kelex team.

"Oh, wow. You look like a woman," Brian says when I arrive in the lobby, ready for the evening.

"She is a woman, you moron," Mace defends me with a confused expression.

"I know, but she looks like one right now."

I get exactly what he means, so I'm not offended. My simple black dress has a round cleavage and tight sleeves to my elbows. The skirt's hem goes mid-thigh but is loose enough to not look too audacious. I tried wearing the heels I brought, but ended up with my black chucks. My hair is up with loads of pins, and adding to my winged eyeliner, I'm wearing red mat lipstick.

I feel like a woman. A desirable one, I hope, knowing Lex is joining us for the trivia.

"Gentlemen." Speak of the devil... Startled, I spin toward him. His smoldering eyes scan me from head to toe, which means I succeeded. He quickly regains control of himself and bows his head slightly. "Andrea."

I nod back, certain my voice will fail me if I talk. Fuck me dead and bury me pregnant. The man is temptation incarnate.

If there's one thing I like more than Lex wearing a suit, it's Lex wearing a suit casually. He still has his charcoal pants and black shirt, but he dismissed the jacket, rolled up his sleeves, and opened another button, revealing a light patch of chest hair. Also, his glasses are poking out of his chest pocket, and if he whips those out during the evening, I'll lose it.

Before I can get too much into my lust-filled thoughts, the others arrive. Upon seeing me, Oli gives me an appreciative grin. Not wanting to encourage him or let him think this is for him, I give him the slightest smile and focus back on the others.

I'm the first to enter our designated booth to the right. Lex enters via the left, and it's only when we're both seated that I realize we'll be so close the whole evening.

I flash him an alarmed glance, unsure this is a good idea. Either he doesn't notice, or he doesn't care, because he does nothing about it. Alright, I'll just have to focus on the questions, the people around us, my very near colleagues... anything but Lex.

The trivia organizers hand every team a tablet. Steven takes charge of it, and the evening of fun starts. Apparently, our ultimate goal is to beat the Avoss team, the usual winners. Sipping on my beer, I lie back in the seat, amused by how determined to win everyone is. Shortly after, Lex does the same thing and nonchalantly spreads his knees, getting more relaxed. It results in our legs touching, which sends a shiver up my body. When I send him a disapproving look, his knowing expression makes it clear it's on purpose.