Chapter 7

March 2018

It's fifty-five degrees Fahrenheit out, the air smells like the new beginnings of lilacs and apple blossoms, I can hear a gentle breeze blowing through the trees, and there is no visible cloud in the sky. In fact, it's so nice outside, I know I won't want to attend my next class and sit in a dimly lit lecture hall for three hours.

I love springtime, and it's one of the reasons I love living in Michigan. I get to experience all four seasons, but spring is my personal favourite. It's when temperatures become pleasant, the increased daylight hours help keep my energy up, flowers start blooming, and I love opening my windows to inhale the fresh, crisp air. I keep reminding myself that my sophomore year is coming to an end, the spring will be over soon enough, and summer will be filled with whole different types of enjoyment. As I walk through campus, appreciating the fresh air and warm breeze, I see Zach out here in the sunshine, stalking over in my direction.

"Hey, you," he calls, waving me down. He has a huge smile on his face as he jogs toward me. "I've been looking for you everywhere."

"What's up, buddy?" I ask when he's standing in front of me. He's wearing a baseball cap, and his hands are in his pockets.

"I need a huge favour from you," he says. "And... you have to say yes."

I wait, brows lifted in expectation.

"You need to come with me to Detroit this Saturday."

Zach gives me a huge smile and watches my reaction with interest.

"Oh boy..." I trail off. I mean, honestly, what is he really asking of me? I know Zach's from Detroit, and his parents live there, but he never talks very highly of his family. And when he does talk about them, the frown lines on his forehead grow deeper and deeper the more he divulges. I know from our conversations that they demand a lot from Zach and that they are very well-to-do professionals with high expectations and country club memberships. They would be a very intimidating bunch. I don't think they'd like my free-spirited personality very much. 

"It's my mom's birthday this weekend," Zach explains, nervously scratching his chest. "And my brother, Brett, flew in from Europe. And we are having a family dinner Saturday night, and normally I would make up an excuse not to attend, but it's her sixtieth. It's a big milestone birthday," he says, widening his eyes in a pleading gesture before returning his hands to his pockets. "And also, my dad called me this morning and threatened me to be there. I cannot go alone and deal with my family this weekend."

I groan. "Ask one of the puck bunnies you've been hanging around to go with you."

"No way," he quickly cuts in, "That's ridiculous that you'd think I'd bring one of those girls."

"Is it, though?" I ask with an edge, and when I look up at Zach, he quickly tucks away a smile. "You're asking a lot of me, ZZ Top."

"Oh, come on," he says, laughing. "I'd do it for you."

"I had plans to meet up with Drew on Saturday," I reminded him. "You know, the hot guy from Macroeconomics class. I told you about him." I pause, watching him process this information and then shoot me an unimpressed look. "Come on, even you can agree he's a smokeshow. I'd be giving up a lot."

"Yeah, but I need you." He says, intentionally touching my shoulder when he says this. I catch his warm brown eyes watching me nervously. As if I might say no. The vulnerability there...I know he needs me.

I could never say no to him. I know he'd do anything for me if I asked him.

"Don't give me that look," I warn. He thinks I'm kidding and goes to smack my shoulder lightly, but I catch his hand. "I'm serious, Zach."