Chapter 22

July 4, 2020

I haven't seen or spoken to Zach since we kissed. It's been precisely thirty-five days since I last saw him, and now I dread seeing him for the first time since the cabin. It's different now, but it doesn't necessarily have to be. I'm trying to remain optimistic that I won't feel a knot of dread in my stomach once I see him.

I flew from New York to Michigan to spend the long weekend with my mom. She's in good health, and I'm happy to say she's still cancer-free. We've spent the past few days together going on lunch dates, enjoying lavish shopping sprees, and even spending an entire day getting some heavy-duty pampering at a local spa. So when Bridget invited me to drive to Detroit for her parents' annual July 4th party, I didn't feel bad about leaving Mom for the night, but I felt uneasy knowing Zach would be there.

I only knew he was in Michigan because of Cece. She called me last night to confirm I was coming to Bridget's party and then asked why I didn't tell her Zach unexpectedly returned from California. Thankfully, our conversation was on the telephone so she couldn't see the shock on my face. I had no idea Zach returned. I played it cool and lied, saying it must've slipped my mind. Reggie had been the one to share the news with Cece and then asked Cece to ask Bridget to add Zach to the guest list.

I never told Cece or Bridget that Zach and I kissed. They had no clue we hadn't spoken since he left or that anything was different between us, and I planned to keep it that way. I just hoped Katrina hadn't returned with him.

I feel uneasy once I park my car, walk along the pathway, and finally step foot in Bridget's parent's restaurant, Joe George's Seafood and Bar and see him. He's alone and standing at the bar with Reggie and Cece. Bridget comes out of nowhere and greets me with a hug.

"Yay, you made it," she says, grinning. She's wearing a red and white striped top and a frayed jean skirt with red cowboy boots - she's entirely on the theme.

Bridget's family loves the fourth of July. They throw a huge yearly party to celebrate with a ton of patriotic decor and yard games. They invite everyone to dress in patriotic flair - hence Bridget's outfit and my shimmering royal blue dress - and her dad goes one step further and dresses as Uncle Sam. They BBQ enough food for the entire neighbourhood and have an incredible fireworks display at night's end. It's quite the event, and I've always been happy to attend.   

Zach turns around from the bar, and his eyes find mine. He runs his hand through the front of his hair. I tell myself I don't care how good he looks, but who am I kidding? I say hi to Reggie and Cece, awkwardly nod at Zach and then wave down the bartender for a drink.

He sips from his drink, which must have been melted ice by now. "Nice dress."

I look over at him. He's so ridiculously smug; it's so amazing that even after we kissed and after he left for California on a whim, and we hadn't seen or spoken in thirty-five days, his first instinct is to act like everything is normal between us.

But I know I'm not innocent in all of this either when I reply, "Thanks. It's too bad I can't say the same about your outfit choice. Red isn't your colour."

He's wearing a red polo shirt and dark-wash jeans. He raises an eyebrow and tries to suppress a smile. "You look like a patriotic disco ball."

Heat flashes across my face, and I clear my throat. The memory that just burned a fire trail through my brain - Zach reaching over, pressing his open mouth to mine and sliding his hands on my cheeks around the bonfire - was...unexpected.

"I'll take that as a compliment," I tell him.

He looks down at his glass. I watch him carefully take another sip.