Chapter 12

Present Day

Riverside Boulevard is a never-ending view of a bending river, a necessary beauty in the heart of Detroit. Flowing west and south for twenty-four nautical miles, it forms an enormous artery cutting through the Canadian and American border, also known as home to Joe George's Seafood and Bar, also known as Bridget's parents' home and famous seafood restaurant – a beautiful craftsman lodge with a private boat launch, more than forty boat slips, a waterfront patio and a private backyard oasis surrounded by trees. It's one hell of a beautiful place to have an engagement party, and luckily for Bridget and her new fiancé Kieran, her parents were thrilled to host.

Tom and I flew in from New York this afternoon and were greeted by Cece and Reggie at the airport.

And no, we aren't officially back together. We are still working through Tom's ultimatum - either move in together or end our relationship. We agreed to travel together to attend Bridget and Kieran's engagement party as a united front, with the expectation that after this weekend, I would finally give Tom my answer.

Within minutes of landing, we are on the highway, buckled up and listening to Reggie's playlist of indie rock mixed with country songs. I am silently enjoying the view from my window of clear skies and the flat landscape of the Midwest. I've loved my life and career in New York, but Michigan has always been – and will always be – my home. Even without my mom, my heart resides in Michigan's blue-collar, hardworking and down-to-earth mentality. It's why I became so interested in finance. The rags-to-riches American dream pulses through the heart of the Midwest, and I've always dreamed of one day bringing my wealth of knowledge and expertise back to my roots. 

An unexpected wave of nostalgia passes over me: a warmth that starts at my head and travels down to my toes. I'm flooded with so many good memories I've shared with my friends between Ann Arbor and Detroit and everything in between, especially my memories with Zach.

My stomach takes an anxious leap.

Will Zach be at the engagement party? Will he attend with Katrina? Will they make the trip from California? I promised myself I wouldn't ask Bridget or Cece if they were on the invite list. I didn't want anyone to think I was still affected by Zach. I know Katrina and Bridget's friendship hasn't been close since college. I also know Bridget wouldn't forget to invite an old college friend or acquaintance though. She's planning on having an extravagant and well-attended wedding.

When we arrive at Joe George's Seafood and Bar, I see Bridget sprinting towards us, wearing a huge grin and sporting a pair of pink heels and a white dress, followed by Kieran walking briskly behind her.

"Yay," Bridget squeals and pulls Cece and me in for a hug. "I'm so glad you're here."

Seconds later, she releases us from her vice grip, and Kieran greets us with a smile.

Kieran is a professor of architectural engineering, and he's seven years older than Bridget. They first met a few years back when Bridget was a graduate student in the program. Then a few months after she graduated, she saw him at a pub one night and approached him. He offered to buy her a drink, and they've been together ever since.

Kieran is a handsome and accomplished professor. But he's also finicky and honest, loves enjoying the outdoors, and treats Bridget like a queen. They compliment each other very well. Kieran is more laid back and calculated, while Bridget is an insanely high-strung detail-oriented perfectionist. He keeps her grounded. She keeps him motivated.

"Congratulations," Tom says, shaking Kieran's hand. "Good to see you."

"Thanks, bud," he says. "Glad you made it."

"Jesus, I forgot how sprawling this place was...." Reggie trails off, gesturing to the venue. "The last time we were here was Bridget's fourth of July party."