Chapter 10

October 31, 2018

I realize it's melodramatic, but when Sophia texted an invite to "Zach and Sophia's Halloween Karaoke Party", I stared at the invite for a full fifteen minutes.

Other than Halloween, there are two things Zach hates: Karaoke and birds, which is why I was so shocked when I received an invite to a Halloween party that included one of his most hated things. Hopefully, Sophia doesn't make this Halloween Karaoke party any worse by making Zach dress up as a parrot.

After Zach bruised my feelings at the hockey party over Jared, he showed up the next morning at my apartment with two spicy chicken sandwiches from Chick-fil-A and an apology. And, of course, I forgave him. He was drunk. I lost my temper. We both said things we didn't mean. We so easily moved on from our stupid little spat because my friendship with Zach means everything to me. Which is why it's been even harder to adjust to this relationship version of Zach: the perfect boyfriend who has morphed into an unrecognizable version of himself.

But despite the shift in our relationship: from being able to rely on Zach for everything and anything to not having him at my disposal as often. I'm learning how to adjust to our new way of friendship. We still hang out one on one, but not as frequently as we did before Sophia, and now, I mostly see him in group settings. But sometimes, I feel like I barely know him anymore. Since he and Sophia became official, he's been distant. But I am excited to celebrate Halloween tonight, even if that means he's changed and suddenly loves Karaoke and birds.

Cece shows up at my doorway holding two costumes in each of her hands.

"Which one?" she asks. "The slutty nurse? Or the slutty maid?"

I stare at each costume, assessing the lack of fabric on the nurse one but also appreciating the lace detail on the french maid one. "French maid," I say confidently. "I like the lace on it. Plus I think Reggie will enjoy it."

"Yeah, you're right," she says, pauses and gives me a once-over, finally noticing my outrageous costume. "Are you wearing coconuts on your tits and an actual grass skirt?"

"Fuck yeah," I say, wrapping my fists on my coconut bra. "I'm a hula girl. Zach's going to die laughing."

And truthfully, I can't wait to hear his laugh. I've missed it.

Cece bursts out laughing. "You look hilarious and somehow sexy all at the same time."

"That's the point. Do you like it?"

"I love," she gushes. "I wish I had a coconut bra too."

Bridget appears behind Cece, smiling at me. She's dressed as a cowgirl. "Your costume is the bomb," she says.

"Mahalo," I say, giggling. "You make a good cowgirl."

"Thanks," Bridget grins and then looks over at Cece. "You need to get dressed into your costume."

"I know, I know," she says, pushing past Bridget.

"Hurry up," she shouts after her as Cece jogs down the hallway. "We do not want to be late."

A quick taxi ride later, we walked up the concrete steps leading into Sophia's condo building. I've never been to her condo before, but I'm not shocked to see it's located in a gated community near campus. Bridget told me Sophia comes from a very privileged and white-collar background. Her mom is a heart surgeon, and her dad is a dentist where she grew up in Northern Minnesota. According to Bridget, Sophia's lived a cushy life, and she currently lives in a two-bedroom condo without a roommate. I had no doubts about Sophia's background since she only wears designer brands and drives a brand-new car or that her place would be any less than the best.