Chapter 11

One button after the other, I close my shirt, leaving the first two buttons open

One button after the other, I close my shirt, leaving the first two buttons open. I take a look in the mirror and take a step back, giving me more space to scan my outfit.

It's appropriate.

I grab the glass of whiskey I left on the dresser and down the rest in one go. I take a look at my watch and see that I still have about twenty minutes before I need to go.

If I am being honest, at first, I was mad at Theo for accepting the invite, but I realized that he only did it for us. This money could really do us a lot of good. The one I am mad at is Athena. Because I am always mad at her.

"Ares?" I turn around and see Loes closing the door of the room behind her. "Can we talk?" She looks down at her hands and plays with the hem of her sleeves.

"Of course." She points the bed and we both go and sit on it.

Suddenly the whole room becomes silent and cold, and something tells me this conversation means nothing good.

"What is it?" I grab her hands, but she pulls them away and then crosses her legs hiding herself away from me. "Talk to me."

"It's us." She says and I keep myself from thinking the worst right away, this could be something totally different.

"What about us?" I don't realize it until I hear my voice. I've shut down, I'm cold and angry.

"It's just, that lately. I've realized some things." She looks up quickly at me, but the second her eyes meet mine she looks back down.

"I feel like our relationship has grown two ways. The first one is amazing, we get along, we laugh, spend time together. But the second one is unspoken, it's hidden, it's... denial. At least from me." She stops a second and lifts her head as if she is expecting an answer from me.

"What I mean Ares is that. You're one of my best friends. And I really do love you." Again silence greets her. She seems very uncomfortable. But so am I, so keep fucking going.

"This marriage thing it's... I don't want to get married just to save a doomed relationship." She finally says and it feels like she punched me in the chest.

I know I've been having my doubts lately, even saying I couldn't do it. But fucking hell. If someone had told me, it was going to hurt that much to hear it.

"Ares, I-"

"Don't bother." I get up and grab my empty glass. "I got it." I walk out of the room, but she follows me and calls after me. When I arrive at the door, she calls my name again and I lose it.

Before I can retain myself, my arms move by itself and I throw the glass I had in my hand against the wall, making Loes scream. I turn to her to apologize but it's not what comes out of my mouth. "I fucking get it." She is crying. But right now, I don't care.