chapter ten

Elaine observed as Amelia lectured to the entire class. She was discussing Alexander the Great's descent into alcoholism and the circumstances that led to it. Elaine wasn't really focused on the topic Amelia was teaching. Actually, Francis appeared to be quite engaged in the lesson, a rare occurrence. She quickly pushes her hair back as her phone starts to buzz. Instantly, the screen illuminated, revealing the message from Carl.

Carl: Hey, can't slip you a note, so how about dinner at the Bronx later?

Elaine: Is this a date?

Elaine couldn't help blushing slightly. It was a pleasant surprise when someone asked her out, as she didn't see herself as particularly attractive. The only people who displayed interest in her were likely Amelia and Carl. She despised the situation of being involved with both of them, as she was aware that her feelings for Amelia surpassed those for Carl or anyone else.

Carl: Maybe we could see it as a date :) Elaine, I miss the way things used to be between us. Let's grab dinner together, just the two of us.

Elaine: Is this place considered high maintenance?

Carl: It's a treat from me, so don't worry.

Elaine: Carl, I can buy my own food.

Carl: But I want to. So, kindly allow me. I'd like to take you out on a date.

Elaine's head snapped when she heard Amelia's painful voice. She notices her approaching, with both hands on her hips. Elaine regretted sending him a text during class, fully aware that it would upset Amelia.

"Are you disrespecting my time, Ms. Solace?"

Elaine's lips felt dry, and her entire body stiffened; she couldn't speak the words she wanted to say. She experienced embarrassment in front of her classmates for the first time. Normally, Amelia wouldn't address her in that manner during class or adopt that tone. She was clearly the teacher's favorite. However, upon witnessing this, she no longer feels like she is the teacher's favorite.

"I–"

Amelia snatched Elaine's phone and peered at the screen, furrowing her brow. Afterward, she slipped it into her pocket and walked away from Elaine. She thought, Ouch.

"If you want to flirt, Elaine, do it outside my class," she said angrily, turning to address the rest of the class. "If everyone wants to do the same thing, don't bring it here. From now on, I expect all phones to be collected when you enter this classroom. You'll receive your phone once you've completed my class."

Everyone else has chimed in with Amelia's suggestion, and a few of them have even given her a fatal gaze. Elaine shook her head and leaned back in her seat, absentmindedly twirling her pencil. Francis glanced to her side and made a disapproving sound.

"You really shouldn't have done that," she said. "We're all in trouble now."

"Carl texted me."

Francis murmured, "Have you told Ms. Yeong yet?" Elaine understood the situation and felt overwhelmed by her best friend's constant questions about her relationship with Carl or Amelia. To be completely truthful, she was afraid of that possibility. Usually, she finds it quite simple to handle this sort of task. However, she was reluctant to cause harm to others, particularly Amelia. She couldn't bring herself to harm someone like her.

"I'm not sure, alright? I just need a moment, Francis."

"If you hold onto this for too long, you'll end up getting hurt," Francis gazed at Elaine with genuine concern in her eyes, understanding that her friend was simply anxious. Naturally, she was. "Think about the people in your life, El. This can't keep going."