chapter nineteen: devour that shit!

As I sat on the couch, reviewing my notes for tomorrow's quiz, Francis perused the book area. I was flipping through my notes when I came across Amelia's signature on the opposite page. I softly smiled and traced her signature by running my finger over the paper.

She has been on my mind constantly for the past few days. Her presence seems to linger within me, casting a shadow over my thoughts. Her presence is all-pervasive; I cannot evade her. My mother was familiar with her, I realized as I perused my notes, my mind still racing with her. I don't understand how they were able to be so close; maybe my mom liked it when Amelia did well in school. As the household achiever, Mom liked me nevertheless.

A book was presented to me by Francis as she approached. "What are your thoughts on this? Should I give it a read?"

"The Secret History?"

She nodded. "Yeah! That book has been on my to-read list for quite some time. I'm done with self-help books," she said as she perched on the recliner and petted my head. "Time to get back at the fiction world."

After a brief period of silence, I spoke up and asked, "So, what have you got planned for the summer?"

"I just realized I never told you that I'm visiting some old friends in France, so I won't be around for two weeks," Francis announced with a grimace. At that moment, though, a grin spread across her face. "Unless you're interested in following me."

Her invitation to travel with her to another nation blew my mind; I would be thrilled to go. Except that, I didn't have the money for it. To be honest, I would if my drunken father stopped spending my money. I yelled at him and begged him to return it; he simply shrugged and said it had disappeared. It was as if it had never existed—poof!

"I'd love to, but I don't have enough money to go with you."

She made the suggestion that you look for a part-time employment. As a reaction, I shook my head in disapproval; getting one was absolutely out of the question. That would keep me too occupied to do well in school, according to my mom.

"I am not sure," I said. "But really, thanks for inviting me–"

"I'd pay for your flight!"

My head trembled wildly in protest. "No! Don't even do that, France. T-that would be too much!"

Her expression became increasingly exasperated. "Oh, please," she exclaims. "The entire trip will be covered by my aunt. Plus, she thinks we're dating. So I think she'd be happy to see you come along with me."

"The part-time job seems like a good option to me."

"Okay, fine."

As I put my notebook away, I thought of other employment I may have before Francis departed for France and pursed my lips. Then, with a smile on her face, Francis spoke after giving it some thought.

"Have you considered helping Amelia?" My eyebrows drooped in perplexity. She went on to say, "Like, have a conversation with her about it, and ask her if she can pay you to accompany me."

"Do you think she'll do that for me?" Even though I was more familiar with Amelia than she was, I still asked.

"She has an undying love for you," Francis exaggerated. She will definitely do that. Your entire vacation will be paid for by her unless—"

"No, that's not what I'm after," I said, gesturing with my raised palm. "That will never happen. I don't want Amelia to pay for my things."

With a tense grin on her lips, Francis clasped her hands together. "Well, I guess that's solved then! Go talk to her about it."