A Legacy In The Making

A few hours later, Emily, along with Clara, stands next to Odette's bedroom, hoping the young scientist is okay as Carmilla joins them.

Carmilla: (concerned) What's happened now?

Clara: (concerned) I don't know, Mom, but it's bad. Why does Odette always have to be the one suffering from... Valentino, to her stomach being cut open and almost dying to Gabriel, when will it end?

Carmilla's face softens with empathy as she places a comforting hand on Clara's shoulder.

Carmilla: (sadly) I wish I had the answer, Clara. But all we can do now is be there for her and hope she pulls through whatever this is.

Emily's gaze remains fixed on the door to Odette's room, her worry palpable.

Emily: (quietly) She saved my life twice. I can't lose her, not now.

Carmilla: (calmly) About that...

Suddenly, the door opens as Lucifer emerges with a nervous expression.

Carmilla: (concerned) Lucifer, old friend, how is my girl?

Lucifer: (nervously) Well. To say this in the most straightforward way... it appears Odette... poisoned herself.

Clara's eyes widen in shock, and Emily's heart sinks at Lucifer's words.

Carmilla: (shocked) What did you just say?

Lucifer: (regretfully) It seems Odette ingested a lethal dose of angelic poison of her own design. I tried to counter it with a few medicines, but her condition... is bad, very bad.

Clara: (frantically) Poisoned herself? How... why would she do something like that?

Lucifer: (gravely) It appears to be a deliberate act on her part, and considering what happened last night, I believe she may have been planning this for a few days.

Emily: (realizing) That's why she rejected me. She knew she was going to kill herself. She must have been planning to do this after she found out what she did.

Carmilla: (confused) I don't understand. What do you mean, found out about what?

Emily hesitates, looking at Clara nervously.

Emily: (nervously) You... didn't tell her?

Carmilla: (sternly) Tell me what?

Clara takes a deep breath, steeling herself for what she's about to reveal to her mother.

Clara: (hesitantly) Mom, Odette found out about... her kill count.

Carmilla: (concerned) What kill count?

Emily, frustrated, flies up and reaches Carmilla's height.

Emily: (frustrated) The kill count she got because of you.

Clara: (nervously) Emily...

Emily, ignoring Clara, turns her attention to the head of the Carmine family.

Emily: (angrily) No, I'm serious, this is your fault, all of it. Odette may not blame you for getting her down here in hell, but she should. You got her and Clara in hell by selling weapons that killed God knows how many people. Then to make things worse, Odette willingly designed a whole bunch of angelic weapons you had mass-produced, giving you the status of an overlord while she gets nothing but the realization that she has the blood of billions and now has the highest kill count in the world because of her weapons. And now she's in bed because she tried to kill herself, not to mention all the other shit she's been dealing with.

Carmilla's expression shifts from confusion to shock and then to guilt as Emily's words hit home, the weight of her actions settling heavily on her shoulders.