| twelve |

'Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.'

| twelve |

''I freaking hate Mondays,'' Bumper moans beside me as I pull into our usual parking spot. I look at him from the corner of my eye, taking in his disheveled hair, as he hadn't had time nor wanted to brush it this morning, the dark circles under his eyes and I frown, knowing he'd had a rough night.

After dropping Brad, Davey and Reagen off home, we returned to see my mom outside playing with the puppies. It was all going smoothly until Bumper's mom called and they argued, even my mom had to take the phone from him to calm his mom down.

After that, Bumper made himself a sandwich and went to bed, bidding us a goodnight, even though it was only around eight. At ten, I went up and he was awake, staring out of the window silently, and I knew he wouldn't get much sleep so I pulled him into my bed and hugged him, trying to do at least something for him. He was tense, probably wondering about his parents, about when they'd start getting over it, but in the early hours of the morning, I felt him slowly relax.

I mean, he's my best friend and even if I didn't like gays or lesbians or anything, I'd still keep him by my side, because he's my best friend and nothing can change that.

I fell asleep, with my arms around him and I once woke up in the night to see him staring up at the ceiling, so I knew he hadn't slept much, or at all.

He fell asleep at around five or six in the morning and that's why he overslept the alarm and I debated whether to leave him in bed or not, but I knew he would rather be at school where he can at least have his mind taken off it all.

''So does everyone buddy,'' Reagen climbs out of the car and slams it behind her, stretching her arms above her as she lets out a huge yawn. I hear Brad turn up and park next to us and I let a little smile poke its way onto my face as I turn to Bumper.

''Come on FGG, we've gotta get to class and see who has kicked whose ass in the exams,'' I nudge him and he climbs out silently. My smile is turned upside down into a frown. Sighing, I follow suit and lock the car afterwards.

''Hey,'' I hear a soft voice and turning around, I see Brad with three cups of coffee. ''I've got one for Bumper.''

''Thanks,'' I mumble, taking the two he hands me from him and I manage to look up at him. ''Bumper kinda needs it actually.''

''Why? Is he okay?'' Brad's face mirrors my own and I notice his normally light green eyes darken.

''Not really,'' I head towards the school, Brad matching my pace. ''He's had a huge argument with his parents and it's not one of those that lasts a few days because it's already been two weeks, more or less...'' I bite my bottom lip, taking a sip of my own coffee.

Brad whistles, shaking his head slightly. ''That sucks balls.''

Nodding, I agree with him. It does. Normally Bumper gets along just fine with his parents but I don't understand why they dislike the fact that he's gay so much. I can't believe they're putting that before their love for him, their only son.

''That's why he's been living with you for a while then,'' he states as we reach the open doors of the school. We enter, following the steady stream of students and I nod again. ''Yeah. But how did you know?''