| eighteen |

'Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.'

| eighteen |

''Today has been busy, huh?'' Kellin mentions to me, as I hang up my apron on the hook by the kitchen door. I nod, sighing. ''I'm pretty tired, but I enjoy it, working here and talking to people, and you're a great co-worker by the way.''

Kellin grins at me, while I clock myself out, ''You're not too bad yourself.'' I chuckle, waving at him, ''See you tomorrow, my ride's here.''

''Have fun,'' he winks at me suggestively and rolling my eyes at him, I'm about to leave the bar area but he stops me, seriousness on his face. ''Don't push him away, okay?''

I open my mouth to reply, to tell him I didn't plan on it, but nothing comes out. Because I know I am able to do that, I know if something happens, if something makes me do it, gives me an inkling to do it, I will. I nod, thanking Kellin with my eyes as I smile at him. He nods back, acknowledging it.

I rub my arms up and down as the door swings shut behind me, a cold wind hitting me right in the face. I see Brad's Audi waiting to the rightand I hurry forward, Brad stepping out and opening the door for me, asmile on his face. ''You didn't have to open it for me,'' I remark, smiling all the same. He walks round to his side and sits in before replying, ''I'm a gentleman.''

I laugh at that, my laughter ringing out in the silence in the car.''It's cold tonight,'' I shiver as I get accustomed to the warmth of the car and Brad nods, ''Do you want the heater on?''

I shake my head, ''No thanks, I'll be fine in a few minutes. It's not like I'm freezing.''

''How has your day been?'' he asks, pulling away from where he had parked and leaving slowly. I turn and look at him, to make sure he's not just asking that out of courtesy and a small smile finds its way onto my face when I notice he's asking because he cares, it's clear in his eyes.

''It's been good, I had fun this afternoon before work, with you guys,'' I tell him and he smiles, giving me a glance out of the corner of his eyes. ''Then work was okay, mostly talking to the customers and making sure they got what they asked for. It's a great job, to be honest. I get paid a good wage, for what I do.''

''It'll help for college, too.'' Brad nods and I frown, shrugging. My sudden silence makes Brad turn towards me and ask, ''What did I say wrong?''

''It's not you, or what you said, it's just college education is so expensive and I don't know if I'll be able to go, what with my mum working her ass off and stuff.''

''Well, you can always get scholarships, I guess. Even Bumper could get a scholarship, for playing football.''

''That's true. Are you gonna get one, do you think?''

Brad nods, then speaks. ''Yeah, because my grades aren't amazing, I guess they're passable, but I've been told I could get a whole scholarship, with everything paid, just by playing football. Bumper could do that as well, but because he's also clever, it'll compensate his lack of training – even though he's doing pretty well so far – and he'll be getting a scholarship, thanks to football and studies. You would get one too, for athletics and studies.''

I fall silent, thinking to myself. I could probably get a scholarship, which would pay for a full year at college, wherever I decide to go. That's another thing I have to think of, obviously, which college. I have senior year to think about that as well though, so it's no big deal.

''Thanks, I could probably do that. Plus, I have senior year to save up, to think and everything.''

''Yep, of course. I'm not sure where I wanna go, but my parents are telling me to start thinking, and planning. It's not that easy though.'' Brad sighs as we turn down my road and I have to agree with him. ''Nothing ever is.'' I tell him, quietly.