11. The Heartwarming Heartbreak

A/N "Your eyes twinkle with things I've never felt before. Maybe that's why I'm scared."

DREW THOMSON

I hear the door open and close as I'm placing my shirt over my head. I run my hand through my wet hair, and sigh out as I walk towards the living room.

I see a very dishevelled Nicole on the couch, head in hands.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I ask, sitting next to her.

She jumps slightly at the presence of me, "Do you even have a penny?"

I frown, "Point taken."

Silence.

She looks away from me, very distant.

"Nicole?" I ask.

She whips her head in my direction, as if listening, but I knew she wasn't, "Yeah?"

"I'll be right back, hold on.."

I jump up from the couch, and fast walk towards the kitchen. I spot the tin that held spare change that I never thought I needed.

I grab a few rusty, old pennies from the tin, and walk back towards her.

She furrows her eyebrows in confusion, and then I raise the penny, "Got one."

She gives out a soft chuckle, "You really went all the way into the kitchen to get.. A penny?"

"Penny for your thoughts?" I shrug, handing her the penny as I sit next to her.

She slowly takes it from my hand, and our fingertips brush.

My hand catches on fire in the process.

She gives me a look, before turning away, "I got a text from my mother earlier while I was dropping off Clarity."

She let out a long sigh, "What happened?" I ask.

She looks at me, before turning away. She won't tell me.

Her phone buzzes, and I don't bother trying to peek. I understand her reasons, maybe.

Either way, I know she has some kind of good reason.

After all, there are many things I haven't told her yet.

She let's out a frustrated groan, before shutting off her phone, and running a hand through her hair.

"I had a nice talk, but I need to get going. Take care of Kyleen while I'm gone," she rushes.

I grab her arm as she gets up. I stand up also, "Where are you going?" I tilt my head.

She looks at me, "I have to visit my parents. So, please, let go of me."

"Can I go?" I ask.

She let's out a rough sigh, "Why would you want to do that?"

"I want to meet the lady that created you," I smile cheekily.

She groans, rolling her eyes, "Alright, but brace yourself. You won't be ready for this one.."

***

She was right.

I wasn't braced to see what I saw next.

It wasn't her mother, considering we just arrived at the tall, white building.

The hospital.

Maybe that's why she didn't want to talk about it.

Her mother's in the hospital?

"Your mother is in the hopital?" I ask as we get out of the car.