13. Tattoo Analogy

A/N "You look at me with cold, lost eyes. I can feel your heartbeat under my hand. And I'm just surprised that you haven't let go of me yet."

DREW THOMSON

She looks up at me, and I sigh to myself.

She's done it again.

"Please.. Don't take me back. I can't go back.. I can't.." She whispers, crying her beautiful eyes out.

Her blue eyes shine at me, begging for my forgiveness.

I look at her, "Erin.. I can't keep letting this slide!"

She gives me a guilty look, "Drew! Drew please! I can't go back!"

She's referring to the hospital down town.

I sigh out as I pinch the bridge of my nose, "One day I'm going to lose you, Erin! I can't have that!"

I whisper to myself as I sit beside her, "I can't have that, Erin. I can't.. Please.. Just- Please."

She gives me a soft look, "I'm sorry, Drew."

I hold her in my arms tightly, and she gives me a scared, saddened look.

"I'm sorry, Drew," she whispers again.

"Erin.. Erin, please!" I shout at her cold, small body.

She gives me a look, hugging me tightly, "Drew.. Drew! Drew, please wake up!"

I look at her, "What?"

Suddenly I'm jolted awake by a fearful Nicole. She's looking at me with such care, and fragility.

"Drew.. Are you okay?" She gives my hand a squeeze, as she gives me a soft, caring look.

She reminds me of her.

"Fine," I say, looking at her with distant eyes.

She shakes her head, "Don't give me that bullshit," she says softly, "You kept screaming and rolling around in your bed."

"Go back to sleep, Nicole. I'll be fine," I try to snatch my hand away from hers.

She grips mine tightly, "Scoot over."

I give her a confused look, "What?"

"I said," she pauses, leaning in closer to me, "Scoot over."

I do as told, and she slides in next to me.

I look at her with soft eyes, and she stares back, giving me a smile.

"Now that wasn't too hard, now was it?" She teasingly says.

My hand whips towards her face, brushing out the hair in her eyes. Her breath hitches, and I stare at her.

My hand trails down her body, and latches onto her waist. I pull her in closer, and she welcomes it, snuggling closer.

I sigh to myself, slowly closing my eyes again as I hold Nicole in my arms.

Her soft, warm breath trails up to my neck, and I'm immediately distracted by her closeness.

Her innocence when she's sleeping sends me into over-drive. My heart starts to speed up as my eyes get heavy.

I take one last look at her, and then finally fall back asleep, with no more nightmares.

***

I wake up with a jolt of the sound of metal hitting the floor.

I tilt my head in confusion as I ruffle my hair, and get out of my comfortable bed.