Chapter One

I wish you would step back

From that ledge my friend

You could cut ties with all the lies

That you've been living in” - Jumper, Third Eye Blind (Boyce Avenue Version)

Liam

“One Direction, everyone!” The crowd screams and claps for us. I smile, wave, but something just feels off. I don't want to be here. Tonight, for some reason, I want to be home.

“Are we gonna party after?” asks Niall, my closest mate in the band.

“Yes!” says Harry, and Louis and Zayn agree, but I just shrug. I'm not feeling it.

“You coming?” asks Niall, as we climb into the van outside of the concert venue.

“To the party?” I ask. I'm just stalling, really. I don't want to go, and I know they want me to, and I know Niall will manage to guilt me into it.

“Yeah, to the party” Niall says, sitting by the window. “It's gonna be amazing.”

“I . . . no” I answer, hoping he won't push it. But because he's Niall, he does.

“Please?” he asks. When I give no response, he looks me in the eye. “C'mon, Liam. It'll be so much fun!”

“I'm . . . I'm really not in the mood . . .” I say, but Niall knows he's got me.

“Please?” he asks. I sigh.

“Fine” I say. “But I'm leaving early.”

“Deal” says Niall, and then, mission accomplished, he turns to the others and joins their conversation. Easily and effortlessly.

-

Les

“Daddy, it hurts” I cry. He's gone, unable to hear me. Both my daddy and my assailant. One and the same. “Daddy, please. Stop.” He knows it hurts. He knows it hurts and he likes it. And mum's gone now. Mum can't save me.

-

Liam

“There's nothing to do” I say. Niall grins.

“Liam, you've got to get over her” he says. I notice how he doesn't say her name. I'm glad. It was a nasty breakup, a huge mess. I didn't want to hurt her. She didn't want to hurt me. And we both walked away half-dead.

“I am over her” I reply unconvincingly. I suppose she's part of the reason I'm so sick of this right now. This life. It was all a mistake I made, and a mistake she made, and how the paparazzi wrecked it, blew it out of proportion.