Chapter Two

“Oh broken angel
Were you sad when he crushed all your dreams
Oh broken angel
Inside you're dying 'cause you can't believe” - Broken Angel, Boyce Avenue

Les

“Poole” I say. “My daddy's name is Ian Poole.” The man at the front desk nods. He searches something on his computer. I suppose I'm lucky that daddy was rich enough to move into a building with a registry of who lives where. Or I'm unlucky enough. Either one.

Liam hasn't let go of me. He should know by now though, it takes a lot of courage to kill yourself, and at least for now, my courage has run out.

“You're on floor eleven, number twenty-one, sweetheart” says the man at the desk.

“Thanks” I mumble, and I head for the stairs. Liam won't let go of my wrist, and he rides the elevator up with me.

“Hey, if you ever need anything” he whispers. “Floor nine, number seventeen.” I nod, knowing full well I don't ever want to ask him for help. The doors open on my floor.

“Night” I say. He nods, and finally releases my hand.

“Night” he replies, and the elevator doors close between us. I walk up to my door, ready to face whatever daddy has in store for me.

-

Liam

“You look like hell, mate” says Zayn, when I walk into his apartment at six the next morning.

“Thanks, buddy” I say. “A man loves to hear that first thing in the morning.” Zayn laughs.

“Niall said you left early” he says. “Yet it looks like you got no sleep at all. Are you sure you didn't drink last night?”

“I don't drink, mate” I reply. Zayn nods sagely.

“Oh yah. Forgot” he says. “So what did you do last night?”

“Nothing important” I say. “Why all the questions?”

“Just worried, mate” says Zayn, and I can tell he is, at least a little bit. I must look really awful. “Hey, so, are you good to do this?” Zayn continues. We have an interview today, like most days. Well, not most, but a lot.

“I'll be fine” I reply. But I know it's not entirely true. I can't help but wonder if Les is okay. And every time I get a second to breathe, my mind flies to her.

“If you're sure” Zayn says. Before I can answer, the door flies open, and Harry and Louis are here. And I don't really want to talk anymore.

-

“So, the question I'm sure you get asked all the time: single?” asks the reporter. She's right. Every interview we're in, it comes up.