Chapter Five

“When trouble thinks it's found us
The world falls down around us
I promise baby you won't ever
You won't ever feel a thing” - You Won't Feel A Thing, The Script

Liam

My mobile rings. I look down at it. Caller unknown.

“Hello?”

“Liam?” asks a familiar voice. “It's Les.”

It's a week after the hospital. A week after she said she wished I had let her jump. I've been hoping she would call, but knowing she probably wouldn't. But here she is, calling.

“Hey, love, what's up?” I ask.

“I – Liam, they're sending me into foster care, I – can you please come to the hospital?” she asks. I think she's crying.

“I'll be right over” I promise.

“Thanks” she whispers. I hang up.

“LADS!” I shout. A moment later, they're standing in front of me. “Out of my flat” I instruct. Harry pouts.

“Why?” he asks.

“Because I'm leaving and I don't want you here alone” I say.

“But-” Harry starts to say.

“Out” I tell them all. “Now.” They all troop past me and into the hallway. I close and lock the door behind me.

“Where are you going?” asks Niall.

“Les” I reply simply. Niall nods. I just walk away.

-

Les

“I don't want to” I whisper. “Can't I just get my own place?”

“No” says the social worker, Lily. “You're not old enough.”

“I'm seventeen!” I protest.

“Exactly” says Lily. “You've got to be eighteen, sweet.”

“Six months” I grumble. “Six months, then I'll be old enough? I only had to hold out six more months?”

“How long had this been going on?” asks Lily softly. I stubbornly keep my mouth shut. “Les, your father is going to jail. They matched the knife that he has with the cuts on your side.” Just as she mentions the cuts, pain lances up my side. I wince. Thankfully, nobody notices. “Les, please talk to me.”