Chapter Eight

“I'm only up when you're not down.

Don't wanna fly if you're still on the ground” - I'm Only Me When I'm With You, Taylor Swift

Les

“This is amazing” I tell Niall. He laughs.

“It's just cereal” he says. “Nothing special. Though I suppose if you haven't eaten for awhile it would be amazing. And I suppose food is always amazing.”

“You talk a lot” I say, grinning at him before taking another bite.

“Yeah” he says. “That's what everyone says. We were on this talent competition, before we became a band, and I was about the loudest person there, which is hard when you're surrounded by a bunch of performer types.”

“I didn't know how hard it was to eat cereal with a fork” I comment, brandishing the fork in question at Niall.

“Want to know a secret?” he asks. “Liam eats it in two cups. Cereal in one, milk in the other.”

“Why didn't you warn me?” I ask, narrowing my eyes playfully at him. He grins, and looks almost proud of himself. “Do you do this to all the girls you bring home?” I ask.

“I should take this moment to remind you that Liam brought you home, not me” Niall says. “Not that I wouldn't have brought you home. I mean-”

“I know what you mean” I say softly. I had almost forgotten that I was here for a reason.

“Sorry” Niall says, blushing slightly.

“No, it's . . . it's fine” I reply. “I'm over that now.” Niall won't meet my eyes. I pick up the cereal bowl, tilt it back, and drink the rest of the cereal. “Thanks” I tell him, after I set the bowl down.

“It's just cereal” he mumbles.

“No, thanks for . . . for waking me up” I say. “I . . . I couldn't have done it on my own.”

Maybe it's just an impulse, or maybe not, but Niall grabs my hand and squeezes. “Thank you” he says. “For waking up.”

-

Liam

“Can I talk to you, mate?” asks Zayn, standing up from his chair. I shrug.

“Sure” I say. He heads towards my bedroom, and I follow him, more then a bit confused. He shuts the door behind him, and then gestures to the bed. I sit down carefully. “What is this about?” I ask.

“You and Les” Zayn says bluntly. I must look quite a bit taken aback, because I can see him struggle to hold back a laugh.

“What about me and Les?” I ask.

“You fancy her” Zayn replies.

“I don't” I object.

“Don't try me” Zayn says. “I know your tell. The way you look at her? I know you fancy her, whether you know it or not.” I have to think about it for a moment. Do I fancy Les? I don't think I do, I mean, I would know, right? Except when Niall got her to eat . . . I should have been happy. I should have been glad she wasn't starving anymore. And I was, but I was jealous.

She doesn't trust me like that.

“Why doesn't she trust me?” I asks softly. I didn't mean to say it out loud, but I did anyway. Figures.

“She doesn't trust easily” Zayn says. “Would you?”

“She trusts Niall” I say.

“He's Niall” Zayn says. “Everyone trusts him.”