Chapter four

The floor creaked below me, and I didn't have any time to react as I felt it give way. Screaming, I quickly grabbed the edge, holding on for dear life. I could feel nothing under me, and I surely didn't want to look down. My eyes went to Bendy, but he was panicking almost as much as I was.

"Um, stay calm!" He exclaimed, nearly seeming to direct it to himself. "There's.. There's gotta be something I can help you up with!"

"There's no time for that!" I kicked my dangling legs. "You have to help me up." I'm sure fear was etched all over me. I saw him twiddle his fingers.

"Well, um... Surely you can get up by yourself, right?" He did a sheepish smile. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"No, I can't! I'm holding onto the edge of a fake floor, and the next ground is who knows how far! I need your help, please!" I felt my fingers slowly slip, my anxiety bursting. Bendy rubbed his arm, guilt shining in his eyes.

"I... I can't.."

"What?! Why?!" His tail dropped to the floor.

"I'm... Not allowed to.."

"That-!" With that little outburst, my hold gave up, me falling. I screamed, flailing my arms and legs. No! I can't die! Not yet! It's too soon!

I felt as if everything was over.. That was... Until I felt two hands on my waist. Two hands, almost saying that everything will be fine. And a tail, thin as a simple strand of rope, had wrapped around my chest. A jolt of exception went though my body as the hairs on me stopped moving oh so quickly.

But, I did not hit the ground. Almost as if I was levitating. But those hands were still on my waist, and tail still on me. I looked down, and was shocked. The arms were connected to nothing but a pool of a ink; the tail, too. That was, until bubbles starting popping from the puddle, and that familiar devil face appeared. I smiled, then frowned.

"I thought you said you couldn't help me," I accused. He sighed.

"Up. I couldn't help you up." I tilted my head.

"Why?" He chuckled, then got fully out of the puddle, placing me down.

"A devil shan't help people up, but a devil can help bring down." A shudder went down my spine.

"You mean you have to live by that?" He nodded.

"Sadly." I shook my head, a loud breath escaping me.

"Well, looks like we're stuck down here. What even in this place, anyway?" He glanced ahead.

"Music corridors. If I remember correctly, there's a staircase that'll help us get back up. Well... Help you." He peered past a hallway, then flinched. "Looks like we're not alone, either." Curious, I went behind him, and looked over. Freshly lit candles illuminated the room at the end of the hall, with coffins leaning against the visible wall. A pentagram was drawn on the floor.

Queasy, I swallowed the unpleasant liquid that rose in me, and stepped back. "Are you sure there's not another way?" I asked. He shook his head.

"Afraid not, scaredy mouse. Come on, time's still going, you know." Oh no, that's right. What are the others doing right now? It's nearly been a day, and I haven't talked to anyone! "What, you need to hold my hand?"

"Uh.. That would be nice." I didn't like it down here one bit. And frankly, it would be wonderful to know that someone was next to me the whole time, instead of me being alone down here. Bendy rolled his cartoon eyes, and held his hand out, which I quickly took.

    "Jeez, afraid much?" A snicker escaped his mouth.

    "No, I'm not afraid!" I defended. "It's.. It's just this is a new place."

    "Sure..." His expression spilled of non-belief. Sighing, I gave up on the conversation, and stepped closer to him. "You really are strange, aren't you?" I glared.

"I could say the same about you. Your rules don't make any sense." My string-like tail flicked in annoyance.

"Okay, okay. We're not gonna go anywhere if we keep fighting. So can we please move ahead?" In all honesty.. I didn't want to. That was just one simple room. Who knew what lied beyond? I surely didn't want to find out.

"Yeah.. Okay." That was when I didn't want a voice. When I didn't want to speak. But, alas, because of what I said, Bendy started to move forward, tugging me on.

"You better stop being a wimp, Mickey. I haven't been down here in years. So if this happened to one room, you can count that this floor is all kinds of messed up," he said to me. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"Let's just hurry on.."