Chapter five

I couldn't blame him. No, I just simply couldn't. If I didn't live here all my life, I would be pretty scared, too. This place is not what an average toon sees. At least, I hope it isn't. No, it couldn't possibly be. Pentagrams, candles, messages on the walls..

I'm sure this was far from normal for regular toons. I can't expect him to not be afraid, not one bit. It's just...

Normal.

One thing I can never know what it's like. Wait a minute... I just realized who ran the music department, and if I remember correctly...

"Mickey, we need to leave as soon as possible," I spat out, panic edged on my voice. He glanced at me, now seeming worried.

"Why? It's just-"

"No, you don't understand. There's..." I sighed. "Look, a tape recorder. And by the looks of the tape, I can tell it has something on it. How about we listen to get an idea?" He nodded. Frankly, I already knew who it was by.. And knowing him, I almost didn't want to listen.

However, Mickey pressed the play button, and it started. "He appears from the shadows to rain his sweet blessing upon me. The figure of ink that shines in the darkness. I see you, my savior. I pray you hear me."

I knew with those words, he still was here. I could feel it. "Those old songs. Yes, I still sing them. For I know you are coming to save me. And I will be swept into your final loving embrace."

It looks like Sammy became more crazy over the years.. "But, loves requires sacrifice. Can I get an amen?" I didn't like this one bit.

"Yes, my lord, can I get an amen?" I quickly turned around, but unfortunately saw no one. This madness. I hated it. I wanted to leave, far away from this stupid building right there and then.. But it can never happen.

"What was that all about?" Mickey questioned. I shook my head.

"It's.. Nothing. It's nothing." I quickly grabbed his hand, showing no emotion. "Come on, that stair well is somewhere." I tried to move on, but he wouldn't budge. "Mickey, this is no time to stay put."

"I know, but.. Hey, what's that?" He pointed to a little, rectangular button on the side of the wall. I hummed.

"It's used to open a door.. which we'll need to open." A loud breath escaped me. "Go on, press it." Satisfied, he placed his finger on it, pushing down. "Now can we go?" I tapped my foot. He nodded.

"Yes, we can." I rolled my eyes.

"Cocky mouse." A chuckle coursed through him.

"Cheeky devil."

"Hey, don't call me that. I'm not cheeky."

"Oh, you're pretty cheeky." I scoffed.

"Oh yeah? Well why'd you come down here if you're so popular? Why'd you see me if you knew I'm a demon? Why didn't you run away when you saw what was in here?" I was losing my patience. But at the moment, I didn't care.

"Well.. I just.. Don't like it up there." I did a sharp, sarcastic laugh.

"What's not to like? You have people that love you. People who want to see you on screen. Toons that admire you, that envy you. And what do I got? A friend who was killed because of me. You have the luxury life. You get power. And I.. I get nothing." I let go, and ran off, pressing the other two buttons to go further.

I didn't care anymore if Sammy was here. I just couldn't stand near that mouse at the moment. I ran to the recording room, where microphones hanged from the ceiling. I ran, and ran, slipping over ink puddles. Thoughts swarming in my head. I curled up in a corner, just thinking. Thinking, and regretting. Wanting this to all be over.

"My lord, it's not like you to be like this." I growled.

"Now's not the time, Lawrence," I barked. He stepped near me, but I wanted him to step back.

"My savior, you mustn't mourn for such a puny toon. It's not right. You're a demon; you're supposed to have no emotions. Yet here you are, sulking." Why is he saying this to me? Why can't he just leave me be?

"I don't have time for this, Samuel." I could feel annoyance radiating off of him. Good.

"That's not my name, my lord."

"Oh? And what're you gonna do?" He balled up his fists.

"I'm gonna ruin your hopes, and take what's rightfully mine." ...

I blacked out when a hand collided with me.

••••