26. Homecoming Pt. 2

A loud scream echoed throughout the gymnasium causing just about everyone to wince and cover their ears. The screaming meant only one thing: Jasmine Greenberg has won homecoming queen. It wasn't much of a surprise since Walter was crowned homecoming king a few moments earlier and everyone knew couples won together.

Despite our recent fallout I cheered her on as she made her way to the stage and took her place next to her king. She had finally gotten what she wanted and I was happy for her.

"I heard that scream from the parking lot," a voice said from behind and I turned to find Alyssa. She took a seat next to me before adding, "I thought she was being murdered."

Noticing that she was dressed in distressed jeans and a vintage band tee, I asked, "Did you sneak in here. I thought you didn't even want to come."

"There wasn't much 'sneaking', it's not like this place is guarded by military forces," she said with a shrug. "There's not even anyone to check for tickets out there."

"That still doesn't answer why you're here," I pointed out. "Did something happen with you and Ellen?"

Her eyes doubled in size. "Ellen?"

"I saw her name on your phone when I took it from you," I admitted. "I thought you were done being in closeted relationships?"

"I tried, but I really like her," she said. "And sneaking is kind of exciting. There are so many secret hook up places around Berwick."

"Okay, I think we should change the subject now," I said to save myself from any detailed stories.

"Relax, I never kiss and tell," she laughed, finding my visible discomfort amusing. "Anyway, why are you sitting here alone?"

"Vincent stole my date," I said, pointing over to the two of them who were now joined by Derek. They were huddled over in the far corner of the room talking about who knows what.

As if he could feel my eyes on him, Calvin looked over at me and I gave him a small wave. He said one last thing to the guys before joining me at the table.

"Hey Calvin, kiss anyone lately?"

"Lyssa!" I hissed, giving her a swift kick under the table. She groaned in pain and muttered a few choice words.

"Ow!" She said through gritted teeth as she shot me a glare, which I returned. "I'm going to find ice for my leg."

"What was that about?" Calvin asked after she left.

"Nothing," I said, waving it off. "What were you guys talking about?"

"Jasmine's inaugural party," he said. "Are you going?"

"Nope," I replied. "I doubt my name is even on the guest list anyway."

Honestly, I had no desire to go to the party. All I wanted to do was spend the rest of the night with him.

"You got one more dance in you?" I asked him.

"I'd say 'no', but I feel like that wouldn't stop you from dragging me out to the dance floor."

"You're right," I smiled, taking his hand and standing. "This'll be the last dance, I promise."

"Right," he scoffed, following me into the crowd of dancing bodies.

+ + +

"I really enjoyed myself tonight," I said as we walked up my porch steps. Stopping and turning to face him I added, "Even if you wouldn't do the Cha-Cha Slide."

"You might be able to talk me into a lot of things, but I had to draw the line somewhere," he said, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

All I could think about was the one thing I couldn't get him to do: kiss me.

"So..." we both said in unison, followed by nervous laughter.

"I should go," he said. As he was about to walk I gripped onto his hand and pulled him back.

"Why won't you kiss me?" The words came out before I had the time to think about them.

However, the awkward silence that fell between us did give me time to regret asking the question. He probably thinks I'm desperate or worse.

"Wow," he said, scratching at the back of his next.

It was difficult to get a read on his tone. Letting go of his hand, I fear that might have I overstepped. Before my mind could spiral out of control over how stupid the question was, he spoke again.

"It's not that I don't want to, trust me, I do," he answered and I felt my cheeks warm up. "I just can't shake the feeling that once we take the next step my mom will decide to up and move again."

My mind was put at ease when I realized his hesitation had nothing to do with me. However, now my mind was plagued with the thought of him leaving. The idea caused my stomach to knot up.

What if we did take our relationship to the next level, only to have him leave? That uncertainty was enough to scare me away, well, the old me anyway. The me that held onto things too tightly and never took any risks because of the fear that everything would crumble apart.

Now I knew that nothing was certain. Things were going to change. Good or bad. Whether I liked it or not. All I had to decide was if I was going to take a chance on the unknown or cower away from it.

I took a step closer to him. It was like walking on the unstable ledge of a cliff that could fall apart at any moment.

"Maybe you'll move away tomorrow or a few months from now or maybe you won't," I said as my fingers slipped in between the spaces of his. "There is no way to know. What I do know is that I want to make the most of the time we that we are together."

Our eyes locked, the thumping in my chest nearly drowned out what he said next.

"When did you become the fearless one?" he asked with a light laugh.

"Well, someone once told me that wasting time on being afraid means missing out on amazing opportunities," I said, deciding not add in the last part of Alyssa's quote. Even if it did apply here.

He looked nervous and I found it amusing that we had basically swapped places. "It's a kiss, Calvin. It won't kill you."

He cracked at a smile then, shake his head. "You sure about that?"

"Only one way to find out," I whispered as our faces inched closer together.

He closed the remaining space between us and pressed his lips to mine. The kiss was soft and sweet, making everything around us melt away. Just like chocolate after a crappy day. Better even because it wasn't just a momentary distraction, but the cherry on top. And I devoured every bit of it.

//

THE END!!

Oh my geez, never thought I'd get to say those words.

Thank you all SO much for reading and I really hope you enjoyed it!

I feel like I should say more, but I got nothing. I'm just so happy that I finished this story.

<3 <3 <3