Chapter 22: The Confession

"Sheriff Mullins had no further statement on the killing of the teenaged Genesis Fisher. The police statement was released on their Facebook page. We're waiting for more information regarding this case. When we have more, we'll come to you with live updates." The news woman spoke with elegance and was straightforward on the screen. The police station behind her cast a perfect backdrop for the television. Next to her, news stations from every network were talking into microphones with camera crews lined up and down the sidewalk.

The front door opened to reveal Deputy Marie Evans swiftly making her way down the steps to her patrol car. The news crews hurried after her, sticking out their microphones.

"Ma'am!"

"What was the state of her body!?"

"Had Ms. Fisher been in any trouble!?"

"What is the sheriff doing about the situation?!"

Deputy Evans sat in her car after slamming the door. She pulled out onto the road as fast as she could. When she was far enough away, she started to show her true emotions from the new stress that was on the town. It was the day after Christmas, and she was here trying to figure out what happened to Genni and who did it.

She sighed, taking one hand off the steering wheel and rubbing it through her hair.
-----
"Why did you let her out? Why did she have to go out that night!?" Genni's mother yelled at her husband.

"I had no idea... do you think I wanted this?!" he yelled back at her. The broken dishes, dirty tissues, and holes punched into walls couldn't explain the anger they felt over losing Genni, and it ripped what was left of their relationship apart.

-----
That night, it was actually the coldest it had been all winter. December 26th... the day after Christmas. The day things got worse.

Jasper was sitting on Natalie's bed getting up the courage to finally tell her. All these years and he was finally ready. Derrick was out of the picture, and Natalie needed someone to be there for her through all this pain she felt.
He picked up his camera and took a picture of her. Crossed legs on her blue, plaid bed. Her hair was wavy from the braids she had in all day. Her smile was brighter than ever. Besides everything, she felt liberated. It was maybe time for a new start...

The camera flashed onto her, capturing this moment. He looked down at the picture, smiling and letting his face heat up with blush. She was cute, and he wasn't hiding his feelings anymore. Natalie squinted her eyebrows in confusion.

"Lemme see," she reached forward. The bed creaked as she leaned for the camera.

Jasper turned the screen around to her. "Here," he said with a smile. She grabbed it and hit the zoom button. It was quiet for a second. She was calm, seeing a picture that really showed how she felt. But Jasper, he was about to explode with butterflies.

Do I tell her? I'm gonna tell her. I shouldn't. I can't tell her. Finally, the war in his head was over.

"Natalie, I love you."

She didn't look away from the camera, thinking it was nothing. "What?" she chuckled.

"I've liked you for years. Derrick's gone, and I'm here for you... I love you."

"Uhh," she handed Jasper his camera and looked down to her bed. "Thanks, Jasper." Her bottom lip started to quiver. He didn't mean anything by it, but Natalie had been through so much with Derrick... she wasn't ready. "Give me a minute... I'll be back." She stood up from the squeaky bed and went outside, not letting Jasper say a single word.

Jasper stayed on the bed and listened as he heard her car start and pull out of the driveway.

"What the crap was that?" he said in a shaky voice. His nerves were over boiling. "She wants me to sit here? I'm not doing that..."

Out of embarrassment, he stood up from the bed and was ready to leave. He didn't notice the gun sitting under her bed as he walked away. His camera slung down from his shoulder-strap and hit him in the stomach. He passed by the windows in the hallway and stepped outside to his car.

"I don't know what to do..." he whispered. He slid his keys into the slot without turning the key. He slid his camera into the passenger seat as he put his head on the steering wheel.

"Why?" he said, lifting his head and banging it on the steering wheel. Without looking up, he rose his hand and switched on the headlights. The lights beamed through the driveway.

"Why did I do that?" he said again, hitting his head on the steering wheel again. Finally, he rose his teary eyes to start the engine. Standing just a few feet from the car, someone was creating a huge shadow behind them.

The lights shined into the red hoodie, showing their face.

Jasper rolled down the window, "What are you doing?" he asked his friend between his sniffles and shaky voice.

They didn't say a word.

Just silence, a red hoodie, and a crowbar.

*If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote! It would really help me out. Also, comment your thoughts! I respond to all.