Chapter 47: The Sleep

"Stop! Zach!" Kathrine yelled as she pulled away from him.

Zach leaned back and threw his hands up, "What, Kathrine? I'm sorry! I didn't mean–"

"No! There he is!" Kathrine pointed through the foggy windshield to the red figure in the distance.

"Who? RED?" he leaned forward in his seat and put the car in reverse.

Kathrine reached down and slammed the heat on. She spun the nozzle to defrost the windshield.

"We're getting out of here," Zach reached across and propped his arm over the back of Kathrine's seat. He looked backward and slammed on the gas. They pulled to the left as he repositioned the car to get back on the nearest road.

Kathrine spun back and tried to see what it was that faded away into the darkness as they drove away. Was it RED? Or was it paranoia?

"We're safe," Zach said.

"We should call the police?" she said.

"Are you sure it was RED?"

"... I don't know," she turned back around and sunk into the seat.

Zach reached over and grabbed her hand. Their fingers interlocked as they went out into the night.

-----

Derrick was in his room once again. Alone.

He kept walking back and forth from corner to corner. His room was usually a mess, but this time there wasn't anything to dodge as he walked the room. No clothes to step on, no books to step over. Even the chair in the corner was empty. Everything was put away. He had his room clean... except for his desk. The laptop was open to a google search. Printed papers from the school library were scattered on the desk. Lines were drawn from sheet to sheet and Genni's family tree was drawn on a sheet of notebook paper.

He stopped pacing and turned to his bed. He lifted his pillow from the smooth sheets and fluffed it one more time. He put it down and sat on the edge facing his desk.

Danny... Danny. Danny Fisher. He couldn't get his name out of his head.

He leaned over and pulled his phone from the end table. No notifications.

Zach, I am trying to piece it together man. This RED stuff has something to do with family.

The blue bubble on his screen had the word 'Delivered' under it for a few minutes. He was hoping Zach would respond quickly and start the conversation like he used to. Five minutes later, Zach started typing.

Then, he set the phone down.

Fifteen minutes later, Zach finally sent a message back to Derrick.

Oh, cool

Derrick looked at his phone with his eyebrows scrunched together. He didn't want to roll his eyes, but he had to.

I've been doing a lot of research. Genni's dad, Danny, lost his brother years ago. It was a murder.

Oh wow

This has something to do with family.

No response.

I really want my friends to be safe. I'm having trouble sleeping. Derrick told him the truth.

That sucks. Sorry man!

Derrick didn't know how to respond to that. He didn't want to waste his time... or Zach's. He wanted his best friend back but didn't want to put up with the embarrassment of rejection. Derrick felt that feeling in his throat. The feeling he was taught to hold back.

He locked his phone and sat it back on the nightstand. He moved onto the bed and rolled over. He wasn't going to be able to sleep... but he didn't want to be awake.

***Was that RED watching Zach and Kathrine? Can Derrick find out the identity of RED? Will he let Zach's friendship go? Or will he hold onto what's left?

**The day of updates is changing from Monday to Tuesday! A new chapter is coming every TUESDAY & FRIDAY. If I am able to write several chapters ahead, I will start posting three times a week!

*If you liked this chapter, please hit the stat to vote. That would really help me out! Also, comment your thoughts. I respond to all! (But I won't post spoilers, haha)