Chapter 39: The Return

"Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you're back," Zach said as he squeezed Kathrine on her front porch. He was sitting on her steps waiting for her to get back.

"Me too... that was a bunch of bull to deal with. I never want to go back to Florida," she told him. Kathrine's mom flipped on the porch light from inside the house.

Zach's body shivered and his teeth chattered, "Um, can we go in," he said as he rubbed his arms.

"Yeah! Please!" Kathrine laughed.

"Let me," Zach reached for her suitcase and grabbed the denim handle.

Kathrine's mom was putting her dirty clothes in the washer in the laundry room on the other side of the kitchen. "You kids have school in the morning. Don't stay up too late." She closed the washer door. "Throw your dirty clothes in there, baby."

"Goodnight, Mom."

"I love you, Kathrine." She pulled her forward and kissed her on the forehead. "Goodnight, Zach!" she said as she turned down the hall. As she passed, she turned off the kitchen light and turned on the lamp.

"Here you go." Zach sat the heavy suitcase on the couch.

"Oh, you're not taking it to my bedroom?" she said.

"... I can," he said cautiously. He wasn't sure what she was hinting at.

"Nah, I got it," she chuckled and hit the suitcase.

"Oh, okay," he started to blush behind his beard.

Kathrine looked into the mirror above the couch and put her hair up into a messy bun. "Evelyn's okay, right?"

Zach had almost forgotten about his step-sister being in the hospital. The beautiful girl in front of him was finally home. "Oh! Yeah, she's going to make it. Last I heard she was in good spirits."

"That's good. I plan on going to see her after school tomorrow..." she walked closer to Zach. "How's Natalie... the cops took her?"

"She was arrested... I don't know what's going to happen."

"Do you think she's RED?" Kathrine picked at her nails.

"I... don't think so..." he scratched his neck. The butterflies were back, spinning and rumbling in his stomach.

"I'm sorry... I shouldn't of asked that," she stepped back, "Do you want to come with me to see Evelyn tomorrow?" she changed the subject.

"Yeah, I'll come with you." His thoughts were bouncing all over the place.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Zach." She leaned in to kiss him on the cheek... it didn't work.

He leaned over and met her lips.

***Author questions: Why was Kathrine being awkward in their encounter? Why won't she talk about what happened in Florida? Did Zach mess up by kissing her on the lips?

**If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote. That would really help me out! Also, comment your thoughts. I respond to all.