Chapter 58: Asleep

"Evelyn," Adam turned from the cooked food and grabbed five plates. "Do you think Derrick will be here soon?" he asked. "The food is done!"

Evelyn checked her phone again.

I'm sorry. Derrick's text said.

Evelyn rose her head and rolled her eyes. "I don't think he's going to make it."

"Bummer," Zach dropped his head.

"Well, we can't stop the feast!" Adam moved the plates to the table. "Grab a seat," he smiled.

——-

Natalie stared into the mirror in the bathroom. She wasn't crying, but a week or two ago she would have been. Yeah, she missed Jasper... and she was under a lot of stress... but who wasn't? She pulled the back of her green shirt up and let it drop down over the gun sticking out of the back of her jeans. She unlocked the door and dropped her bag by the shoe pile as she made her way to the table.

She sat at the end seat. Adam was at the other end facing her. To her right was Evelyn, and to her left was Kathrine. Zach was next to her.

"I fixed your plate," Evelyn smiled.

"Thank you, but I'm not that hungry," Natalie forced a smile at Evelyn.

Kathrine's fork screeched on her plate. Zach cringed and turned to her. "Oh, my gosh," he chuckled as he took another bite.

Adam looked up and made eye contact with Natalie. "Come on! You have to at least try a plate." He flashed his smile that got him any girl he wanted.

"No, I can't. It does look good though." She pushed the plate away from her.

"I didn't put all this work into making this food for you to push the plate away!" That could have been offensive, but Adam said it in a way that was playful.

Natalie turned the corners of her mouth up to at least give him something. It was technically a smile, but she didn't mean it.

"This food is so good," Zach said. He wasn't paying attention to their conversation at all.

Evelyn was staring at Adam then turned back to Natalie. She widened her eyes, confused. Natalie felt the awkward tension that she didn't mean to create. She pulled her phone from her front right pocket and set it on the table. She hit the home button. 1 bar of signal.

"So is Derrick coming or not, Eve?" Zach asked, then yawned. He covered his mouth so his mouth full of food didn't gross everyone out.

"I don't think he is coming at all."

"Huh," Zach finished his yawn. "I'm sorry." He blinked hard. "What did you say?"

Kathrine looked at Zach, worried. She looked at Adam... he was looking at Zach's plate. She took another bite and looked at Natalie, then Evelyn.

What is going on? Why is it so freaking awkward? Kathrine thought.

Zach drops his fork to the table. "My eyes are getting so heavy..."

Kathrine exhaled loud enough to hear it across the table. "Dang, I'm kinda sleepy, too." With the last bit of energy she had, she thought of the code word. "Zach... my knee is hurting."

Adam got up from the table and didn't push in his chair.

Evelyn leaned over to whisper to Natalie. "Um, what drugs did they take?" she laughed.

Zach's head slammed into his food. Mashed potatoes flung out into Adam's empty chair. Kathrine leaned for him and fell out of her chair and into the floor. Asleep. Out.

Natalie jumped and pushed her chair back. She looked around for Adam... nowhere.

Evelyn looked at Natalie. "AHHH!" she yelled.

Natalie reached for her gun and turned around to Adam standing behind her.

CLUNK. He hit her over the head, and she never saw it coming. She dropped to the floor.

"NOO! OH, MY GOD!" Evelyn yelled again.

***Leave your comments! The next several chapters will be VERY crazy and you won't be able to stop reading. It's about to get WILD.