Chapter 44: The Mouse

Left. Right. Down the street. Left. Right... again. Derrick followed Danny down every street throughout the town. He wasn't trying to lose Derrick; Danny obviously had a destination. But Derrick made sure to keep his distance and did a better job than Danny did. Danny had no idea he was being followed.

Danny's thumbs bounced off the worn steering wheel over and over again. He kept sliding his lip into his mouth and was biting a little too hard. The chapped lips were on the verge of bleeding, but he wouldn't even notice the taste of iron. His nails were down to almost nothing. His eyes went from darting around in every direction to simply staring at the road. His foot was getting heavier and heavier on the pedal until he zoned back into reality.

Finally, he saw where he was going. He perched up from his slump and looked around the parking lot. He made it to his destination... and the person he was meeting was here, too.

Derrick slowed down and let Danny pull into his destination a few minutes sooner.

"I can't go over there," he said. He turned to the left and pulled into the old recycling center. The streets weren't even slightly busy. He got out of his car and locked the doors. He hit the lock button again just in case... He pulled his gray gloves from his warm pocket and slipped them onto his hands. "Why is he going to the cemetery?" he asked out loud.

The gravel under his feet crackled as his boots shifted down the road. He reached the cracked corner of the building next to the cemetery. "SAWMILL" was plastered on the side. He leaned down and pivoted so that he could watch Danny and his little friend.

Danny stood from the other side of his truck and walked closer to the cemetery. As he passed the next car, he slammed his palm down on the hood. Anger? Or did he know the driver?

The driver's door of the car creaked open. Danny walked around to the driver's door and stood in the way of seeing the identity. The denim button up was flapping in the wind. His white undershirt was dirty, and his boots still had mud around the bottom.

"They know each other... why the cemetery?" Derrick whispered. "What are they meeting for?"

Finally, Danny moved to the left and hands emerged from the darkness to grab the upper door frame of the car. A man pulled forward and leaned out of the car.

The man seemed familiar... Derrick had seen him before. Who is that? he thought.

"Oh!" Derrick gasped. "That's the man from the cemetery. His son Steven was killed years ago..." Derrick pulled out his phone and stared at the screen. He didn't need it for anything, but it helped him think. The screen turned black.

"Genni... Genni Fisher," Derrick slid his phone back into his pocket. "Danny is meeting with... his dad?" Derrick looked closer.

"Danny didn't just lose his daughter... but Steven was his brother..." he whispered.

What are you doing Danny? he thought.

***Author's note: Not only did Danny lose Genni, but years ago he lost his brother. What will Danny do next? Will Derrick get caught?

**If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote! Also, comment your thoughts. I respond to all!