Chapter 64: The Breath

Derrick pulled his shirt over his head and balled it up. He pressed it against Kathrine's bleeding hip in hopes it would stop the weak fountain of blood.

"Don't do this," Zach cried. He was on his knees with Kathrine's bloody body in his lap. Her eyes were slowly opening and closing. Going in and out of focus. Zach's bushy beard and sparkling eyes going from fuzzy to clear, then back to fuzzy.

Natalie was on her knees around her body too. Derrick was still applying pressure to her hip. Evelyn was on the ground with her broken legs next to Adam's dead body. His eyes were open staring right at Evelyn.

"We're right here, Kathrine. You can make it," Natalie sounded just as desperate as Zach. She kept swinging her head to the door, hoping the cops would get there... soon.

"I love you, Kathrine. I love you. It's going to be okay," Zach's crying was getting louder.

Kathrine's breaths were getting more spaced out, and they were getting shallow. Her pulse was getting weaker and weaker. It was like the tides in the ocean shore. the waves came washing in earlier in the night, but not anymore. Now the tides were smaller... weaker. Until suddenly, the tide just simmered away and became a part of the sea. Silent. Still.

"Baby... look at me...."

She closed her eyes.

"LOOK AT ME" he yelled.

Kathrine exhaled... and her body fell still. Her eyes didn't open again...

"Kathrine!" Zach yelled.

The blue police lights shined through the window.

"Kat! Kat!" Natalie yelled.

The cops ran in with their guns pulled. Sheriff Mullins led the way. Deputy Evans led the other cops into the different rooms of the house. Paramedics ran in; they squatted down at Evelyn's side, looking at her broken legs and the heavy cinderblock sitting on the shattered bones. Her legs were disgusting; blue and black all the way around, with blood oozing from the slices. The concrete dust from the cinderblock was sprinkled all over.

"Kathrine!" Zach yelled again.

Sheriff Mullins grabbed his radio and mumbled words into it that Derrick, Natalie, and Zach didn't hear. They were staring at Kathrine... holding on to what they had left: slipping hope. They stared at her chest, waiting for her heart to pump again. They stared at her mouth, waiting for her to take another breath. They stared at her eyes, waiting for them to open again... but they wouldn't.

She would never take another breath... she would never feel another heartbeat...

Leave comments below. Thank you for reading, and I apologize for the wait. I'm sorry for such a heavy, crazy chapter to be the first one back...